Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Transmission Cooling

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
jettaboy1

Number of posts : 3
Home City : sydney
Registration date : 2021-07-27

Transmission Cooling Empty
PostSubject: Transmission Cooling   Transmission Cooling Icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2021 1:45 am

Hi all.. What is you opinions on if the transmission would run cooler or not, or if it is wise!
My 96 3.0 4x4 Auto has a Factory square Trans cooler in front of radiator... So The Oil hose runs from the hot outlet of trans... to Radiator oil cooler . Then to External cooler and back to transmission.
Would it run Cooler if you Bypassed the Radiator and just ran it through the External cooler. ?
( live in Oz hot climate. )
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Transmission Cooling Empty
PostSubject: Re: Transmission Cooling   Transmission Cooling Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2021 12:30 am

From lots of trawling the 4WD, Surf & Prado forums and my own experience, I don’t think it’s wise to mess with Toyota’s fundamental design. With the separate trans cooler it sounds like you have a hot-climate version anyway (Japan itself has a climate variation from sub-tropical in the south to almost sub-arctic in the north and vehicles are often have slightly different spec as per that from new.)
A large part of the role of the radiator heat exchanger is actually to warm up the trans fluid (that’s why Toyota/Aisin autos don’t kick into OD until the engine reaches operating temp) not just cool - it’s to maintain.
If you’re getting trans overheating warning light - which is usually from towing heavy loads uphill at highway speeds - the only mod I’d look into would be perhaps a larger trans radiator.
Back to top Go down

Transmission Cooling
Page 1 of 1