Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

water leak through middle sun roof

Go down 
+2
djathens
aussies08
6 posters
AuthorMessage
aussies08

Number of posts : 1
Home City : ocean shores
Registration date : 2021-01-18

water leak through middle sun roof Empty
PostSubject: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeMon Jan 18, 2021 8:41 pm

hey everyone, just bought a 97 supercustom and ive noticed that after its first night in heavy rain, water is leaking through and showing up on the roof carpet as shown in the photos. does anyone know if this is caused by a leak in the sunroof seals? or is it a result of a blockage in the roof drainage system?? any help would be appreciated as i want this issue fixed to avoid any furthur water damage to my immaculate interior water leak through middle sun roof 5c009010water leak through middle sun roof 5c009010
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 6:33 pm

Sunroof drains on the middle unit would be a good place to check first. The forward ones are visible when the roof is open, the rear ones are only accessible with the rear half of the rear headliner out. I have read about forum members using line from a string trimmer to push out gunk, but I have never been able to get that to work, starting at either end of the rear drains.

My rear drains seem to clog easily (I park under a tree that generates a lot of debris), and I haven't gotten around to taking the headliner out again to mess with, so I just park my van with the nose pointed downhill and make sure the front drains are clear. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeTue Jan 19, 2021 9:47 pm

Blow them out with air line.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeWed Jan 20, 2021 7:19 pm

If you can't get an airline try a decent foot pump for an airbed, locate the drains under the car and blow from there.
But it definitely sounds like the drain pipes are blocked.

Stephen likes this post

Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeSun Aug 22, 2021 10:01 pm

I screwed on a hose adapter to my garden hose whose barbed end fits nicely into the middle moon roof's drain tube outlet, and briefly forced some water up the drain tube. This caused some gunk that was blocking things to come out and now it's draining nicely again!
Back to top Go down
GREY NEWBIE
GREY NEWBIE

Number of posts : 11
Home City : BUNDABERG
Model and year : KZH106 1998
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 3:06 am

So I'm assuming that you have solved the problem as it has been more than a year since your original post, but for anyone else who gets this problem it would be good to have the outcome. I had exactly the same issue and found that the drain hose from the front corner of the centre roof goes to a T piece that is situated behind the AC unit, where the drain from the centre and front roofs are connected, and the outlet then goes down inside the door pillar to the ground. Mine did this when the drain hose had come off the T piece!
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2022 7:02 pm

The periodic back flushing of the rear passenger-side drain tubing has prevented another leak event from occuring. My van is parked where I can see if that tube is draining during a rain storm, and I also noticed when there is a wet spot on the pavement longer than usual, which indicates the drain is starting to get clogged.
Back to top Go down
GREY NEWBIE
GREY NEWBIE

Number of posts : 11
Home City : BUNDABERG
Model and year : KZH106 1998
Registration date : 2012-06-13

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 2:06 am

djathens wrote:
The periodic back flushing of the rear passenger-side drain tubing has prevented another leak event from occuring. My van is parked where I can see if that tube is draining during a rain storm, and I also noticed when there is a wet spot on the pavement longer than usual, which indicates the drain is starting to get clogged.

Where exactly does that drain come out please? I'd like to try back-flushing the rear drain tubing as well.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2022 2:39 am

It comes out behind the rear wheel well on mine,

water leak through middle sun roof 16514510
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeWed May 04, 2022 4:43 pm

The roof drain that passes the fuel filler cap, is slightly squashed on the way through...

A longer term fix is to get at the section from the inside, and use jubilee clips to force the flattened area back into a round shape (or replace the pipe, but that is much harder!

Supermum likes this post

Back to top Go down
Supermum

Number of posts : 1
Home City : Warana
Registration date : 2022-07-27

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2022 2:26 pm

Help.. have been reading this thread about moonroof leaks and after attempting a clean out today with no luck managed to look under the back lining to find the hoses weren't actually connecting on either side? One is a good 2 inches short but still visible, the drivers side has disappeared all together. Hoping to reconnect the visible tube with sn extension piece but completely pulled the other one out from the wheel entry. Am worried I won't be able to get another tube back up. Any advice??
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: water leak through middle sun roof   water leak through middle sun roof Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

water leak through middle sun roof
Page 1 of 1