Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Glow plug snapped!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Coleyflower

Number of posts : 8
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : 1994, Toyota Hiace Supercustom, KZH106, 4wd, 1KZ, Auto
Registration date : 2020-03-31

Glow plug snapped! Empty
PostSubject: Glow plug snapped!   Glow plug snapped! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 10, 2020 5:17 am

So I went to the auto shop here in NZ for glow plugs test. We found they needed replacing but ones tip was snapped, and they said it looks as if it’s been snapped for quite awhile now, he says it’s probably gone down to the piston. the van is driving and has been driving fine forever. So he replaced 3 and left the snapped one there because he does not want the new one to snap also. He said if it’s worth fixing it’ll be 2 days labour otherwise since it’s been driving fine keep driving if I want. He is going to talk to another mechanic friend tomorrow. Thoughts? Any similar stories? What do you all reckon I should do? What if it’s just gone straight out the exhaust😆(dreaming)!
Back to top Go down
NZ Scotty
NZ Scotty

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Northland, New Zealand
Registration date : 2020-09-06

Glow plug snapped! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow plug snapped!   Glow plug snapped! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 7:16 pm

Big question is; how well do you know your mechanic? Two days to remove and reattach the head sounds a bit excessive, so why can't he use a magnet to retrieve the stray plug-piece in the cylinder?

and yes, there's a very real chance (if the piece was small) that it's already been ejected out the exhaust valve. Try placing the business end of a large screwdriver as close to the area as possible while engine is running and put the handle to your ear - you might be able to hear the rattle if it's still in there
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

Glow plug snapped! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow plug snapped!   Glow plug snapped! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 8:10 pm

Not changed a cylinder head on a Hiace but don 2 on a Prado (more access) so I would say 2 days labour is not over the top you do have to allow for breaking things like exhaust studs etc. As for is it ok to run as is to be honest I would take the risk if it sounds ok it probably is.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Glow plug snapped! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow plug snapped!   Glow plug snapped! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 9:45 pm

?? Borescope should give the answer in 2 minutes. If the tip was still in one piece in the combustion chamber you’d surely have a hole in the piston or cracked/bent/broken valve. More likely it turned to ceramic dust and disappeared.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Glow plug snapped! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glow plug snapped!   Glow plug snapped! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Glow plug snapped!
Page 1 of 1