Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I want a late model 4WD now

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 27
Home City : Agnes Water
Registration date : 2020-02-06

I want a late model 4WD now Empty
PostSubject: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 12:56 pm

I am thinking of buying another S.C in 4WD. Thistime I would like to go the latest year they made the 4wd so as many of the cool gadgets work as possible. I saw a video of the electric curtains working and they actually look pretty cool in action.

The real 4wd with high/low range not the AWD version.

The problem is I can’t seem to find a definitive list or wiki on the S.C. years of release for the 4wd with the 3L TD 1kz-te. I don’t even know if the 2000 era 4wds still had that motor to be honest.

My wife is Japanese and we are due to head over to visit the in-laws when the plague permits. I’d even consider looking at them over there with the idea of importing one myself.

As much as I love my 1996 2wd it has turned out to be a really hard worked and worn out example of the S.C. with suspension and drive train rebuilds required as well as rust popping up everywhere that looks like it will always be an issue.

Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2020 5:05 pm

From what I understand, the combination of part-time 4wd and the 1KZ-TE does not exist on the SC. As far as I know, the models with part-time 4wd and the 2.8 litre 3L engine ceased production in August of 1993.

You can use Pacific Coast Auto's auto catalog to look through all of the variants of the Hiace (search under 'Hiace Wagon'):

http://auction.pacificcoastjdm.com/autocatalog/?p=project/findlots&s&ld

Henno likes this post

Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 9:08 am

Thanks for that info mate.

As I have only ever seen the 2wd variant over here can you tell me if I am wrong in believing there is a part-time 4wd and one with High/Low gearbox that is a more ‘proper’ 4wd?

I am flying blind here. Even the ones for sale on carsales.com.au over here don’t explain what the drive system actually is.
Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeThu Sep 03, 2020 3:14 pm

All 4wd vans prior to 1993.08 are part-time 4wd with the Hi/Low transfer case.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 12:27 am

I have a '91 4WD. I believe the only ones in Oz are grey imports. As djathens describes, it is part-time 4wd with the Hi/Low transfer case. Also selectable front hubs. I don't consider it to be a "proper" four wheel drive, lack of clearance would be an issue for a start.
I've only ever used it in 4wd in anger once and it failed. It was at Woodford Folk Festival 2011/12, year of the big floods. The slope I had to park on was wet churned up grass. One rear wheel started spinning and that was it; no drive at all. There is obviously no limited slip diff.

Having said that there is a member here did an amazing trip from Europe through Asia but I think he did a lot of custom setting up before hand.
Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 3:25 am

This one clearly has manual hubs and is not a S.C. Do the Super Customs exist with these hubs? Would they be better off road?

Also has anybody had the fortune of driving BOTH the leaf spring rear ends and the coil springs to compare the ride. I owned a hilux with leaf rears and it was NOT a comfy vehicle.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coraki/cars-vans-utes/1994-toyota-hiace-4wd-high-low-range-manual-diesel-four-wheel-drive/1251141942
Back to top Go down
Henno
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 3:34 am

This of course ticks the boxes for being a late model with all the S.C. gadgets in working order. (How have I existed without a coffee pot thingy in my centre console?)

Not as off road worthy and a bit like my Subaru Forester in that department I would imagine.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/coraki/cars-vans-utes/1994-toyota-hiace-4wd-high-low-range-manual-diesel-four-wheel-drive/1251141942

Back to top Go down
djathens
djathens

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2020 4:00 am

The only benefit I can think of that the SC vs the GL/Super GL in an off road situation is that the SC has a shorter wheelbase, and thus a better breakover angle.

The pre-1993.08 SCs have manual locking hubs.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitimeFri Sep 18, 2020 10:49 pm

I have a 95 SC auto full time 4WD. It will happily spin all 4 wheels on wet grass and mud while moving forward. Last month towed a trailer with a 1.7ton pallet of pavers and had to manoeuvre on a wet grass slope both up & down. Had 1, 2, 3 and all 4 wheels spinning at different stages but the van was relentless and just kept moving. All on standard road tyres. No mud tread pattern whatsoever! It also crawls over rough and steep stuff just fine with the L gear selected. The Aisin auto transmission is superb.

The best site for relative model specs is “cars-directory.net”. They call all of them “4WD” in the general spec lists but when selecting each model they refine that to either “PART 4WD” or “FULL 4WD”
E.g: Here’s their list of all the available models from 1992 to 1999. Includes model code identifiers dimensions, powertrains, torque/power, options and colours.
https://www.cars-directory.net/specs/toyota/hiace/

Henno likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I want a late model 4WD now   I want a late model 4WD now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I want a late model 4WD now
Page 1 of 1