Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 59
Home City : Aussie
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Living Saloon Ex 4wd 1KZ-TE
Registration date : 2020-06-01

Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Empty
PostSubject: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 am

Not getting much electrical luck this last week!

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 8:09 am

Sticking relay.
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeThu Jul 09, 2020 9:42 am

Grearvf idea. Thx, I can swap one over and test.
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 12:53 pm

Cannot identify a relay for this.

I guess it could be a thermostat somewhere. I find it so tough working on this van without wiring diagrams/manual.

If anyone else could check this on their super custom>>

With a cold engine

Turn the key to first position - fan on radiator goes on? (doesnt on mine)

Turn key to next position ready for ignition - fan on radiator goes on (does on mine - i'm semi sure it didn't used to?!)

thx
Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeFri Jul 10, 2020 5:34 pm

Much sympathy i now were your at it could be the relay or temp sensor or just a wiring fault or not sure if its controlled by the ECU my fan only comes on with AC presumably to assist the condenser that is above 2nd radiator , there are two fuse boxes with relays one by the drivers left foot and on passenger side look on the back of the cover it is usually marked AC .
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 9:44 am

thx,

Well there is something hanging snapped  in half (a plug with a wire hanging out of it) looks like it came from below coolant lid... gotta be a temp sensor

Last edited by Bagface on Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 10:34 am

I recall that one of the sensors around the little filler cap on the 1kz controlled the electric fan for extra cooling.
I remember this because I was playing about trying to find the temp gauge sender and one time I'd disconnected a different one - and the fan started as soon as I turned the ignition on.

As I recall it was just under the filler pipe.

I could research this a bit more if need be, but check the wires going to sensors on the LHS of the engine head water outlet on the front LHS.
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 11:36 am

Thanks.

What I found >This looks like it could possibly be the culprit.

Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on CWZfnwO

No idea of part number, does't even show here:
https://www.nengun.com/oem/parts/MTE5NzI2IC0gSXpMd241cUFNREF4OEotYWdURTJNREV3TlVZIC0gUmFkaWF0b3IgJiBXYXRlciBPdXRsZXQ=

Anyone with any idea of how to track down part no after a couple of hours searching. (top right part in picture - 1 brass pin inside), let me know.
I checked prados 1kz-te - different :-(
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 12:20 pm

Good photo, yes that looks like the place I remember, if I left it unplugged from the sensor the electric fan would always spin.

BTW your power steering fluid reservoir has a delicate metal strainer half way down, if it clogs up the fluid them comes out of the top - so I'd check that - possibly vacuum it gently with an oil vacuum drainer - as it should be dry.

Where does that orange/brown wire go? I thought the other sensor was very close, use a small mirror to see if you can find it.

I'd look hard for another sensor, I'll try to get to my van and take a pic later, I have to go out for a walk now (orders from her indoors).
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Ok, looking at your photo at the very tip of your arrow looks to be a green thing, I think that is the other half of a disintegrated sensor.

So that's why it's failed.

The other lead (black) must be for something else, maybe the water sensor at the bottom of the diesel filter.

So you need a new sensor and to get the old one's remains out!
I suspect it's a commonish Toyota part, usually on, goes open circuit at 100C or something.

So yes I think that's it, and you'll have to get the remains out carefully first, which will give you the thread size. I think this will be a common toyota part TBH, it's just a NC (Normally closed) temperature switch.

I think if you earth the bit still in the grey connector (via a 1V festoon lamp for safety) to earth the fan will stop.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 12:31 pm

E.g:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Toyota+temperature+fan+sensor&atb=v38-7as&iax=images&ia=images
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2020 10:44 am

thx,

I spent a couple of hours looking, can find very similar but not the same.

This has 1 pin, the similar toyota ones have 2.

Anyone with any clues, greatfully received.
Back to top Go down
Bagface
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 9:06 am

Hundreds of dollars from japan, nowhere else has th em.. seems prado/ smurfs did not use these! Soo expensive

Might have found one from wreckers I hope.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitimeFri Jul 31, 2020 10:57 am

They are all the same, just a fan thermoswitch.

I would concentrate on the water/coolant side for thread fit and shape, and maybe adapt the electrical side. 2 pins is the equivalent of grounding 1 pin, then the other is the single pin you need.

So I'd look for something you can make work, no point in spending more than you need.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on   Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cold engine, ignition only, radiator fan stays on
Page 1 of 1