Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help with how to lower with torsion bar

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Southee
Southee

Number of posts : 19
Home City : Colne, Lancashire
Model and year : LH119 4WD LSD Cruisin Cabin 1992
Registration date : 2018-08-07

Help with how to lower with torsion bar Empty
PostSubject: Help with how to lower with torsion bar   Help with how to lower with torsion bar Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 10:42 am

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me in telling me how you lower the front by altering the torsion bar, my rear has relaxed a little with age and front sits up a little. And I just want to lower just a little so it sits straight.
please any help would be great, Steve
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Help with how to lower with torsion bar   Help with how to lower with torsion bar Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 4:50 pm

Hi Steve, I have made this adjustment on my van (to raise it), the process is as follows:

1. On level ground, measure the distance from the ground to the top of the front wheel arches on both sides of the van so you have reference points.

2. Jack up front end of van using the front cross member as the jack point, enough to get the tires off the ground several inches.

3. Aft of the front wheels under the van the torsion bar terminates at an adjustment point, there will be a large vertical bolt with two 22mm nuts, spray some penetrating oil on these nuts the night before.

4. Loosen the locking nut and spin it down, but not off the bolt (might as well not lose it!). I found it helpful to have two 22mm wrenches, one for each nut. Make a mark on the adjusting nut so you can count how many rotations you have made. Then turn the adjusting nut (loosening direction), counting the turns so you can make a similar adjustment on the other side. I made somewhere around 20 turns to raise my van ~1.75" just to give you an idea of turns/inch. Make the same number of turns on both sides.

5. At some point, re-lock the locking nuts (snug not super-tight), lower the van completely off the jack, bounce the van up and down a little so the suspension  settles, and check the ride height. Check the driver/passenger axis level as well, in case one side is riding higher/lower than the other.

6. Once you are happy with the F/R & D/P levels, make sure the locking nut is nice and tight (58 lb-ft, 78-N-m), and then go get your front end alignment done, as your alignment specs will now be off.
Back to top Go down
Southee
Southee

Number of posts : 19
Home City : Colne, Lancashire
Model and year : LH119 4WD LSD Cruisin Cabin 1992
Registration date : 2018-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Help with how to lower with torsion bar   Help with how to lower with torsion bar Icon_minitimeWed Jun 03, 2020 8:48 pm

Thanks for that djathens, excellent instructions. I’ll let you know how I get on. This forum has so many great people on here with a wealth of knowledge. Thanks again
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Help with how to lower with torsion bar   Help with how to lower with torsion bar Icon_minitimeThu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 pm

I've got about 20mm thread left after dropping mine but it's still not enough, I've cut down all the bump stops on the front also, I'm going to remove the lock nut wind of the adjustment nut right down tgen see how it sits as a test, if its low enough I'll machine the lock nut down bit so its thinner
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with how to lower with torsion bar   Help with how to lower with torsion bar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with how to lower with torsion bar
Page 1 of 1