Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Help with correct tyres please....

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Number of posts : 38
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Custom 4x4
Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Help with correct tyres  please.... Empty
PostSubject: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2019 11:09 am

Hello

I need new tyres for my 2.8 Hi Ace Cruising Cabin i'm in the East London Essex area and i'm finding it very difficult to replace the Bridgestone 195R 15C 104/106 Light Truck tyres that are on at the moment, sensible suggestions and recommendations please.

Toyboy.....
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2019 10:27 pm

My van is also an LH119. It's fitted with 215/70R15C - is that a viable option for you? Not sure why it is difficult to find replacements in UK as there are multiple options available in Australia for both sizes. The brand I have on at present is Toyo, which seem to be going well. Prior to them I had Federal, two of which went out of round at fairly low kilometres.
My speedo over reads by almost 10%; don't know if that's a result of the tyre size.
Back to top Go down
toyboy
Not so new now
Not so new now
toyboy

Number of posts : 38
Home City : London
Model and year : Toyota Hiace Custom 4x4
Cruising Cabin 1994
Registration date : 2011-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks

I'm trying to get a feel for a reliable and affordable brand really, the big brands are so expensive over here and we have so many brands from China that it's not easy to decide where to go i've used Marshall in the past but they didn't last long, thanks for your input it's much appreciated.

toyboy
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 pm

Ah, now I understand. Based on my experience with Federal, going cheaper is false economy. I also got caught out on my Toyos being on special. They have plenty of tread left but my mechanic says they have to be replaced based on age. It seems that they were old stock when fitted as "new" tyres.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 19, 2019 7:08 pm

215/70-15 is indeed the factory size. It's also worth noting you don't need LT tyres for these vans as they're classed as passenger vehicles. So long as the load rating is enough for the GVM (which will be around 2.4-2.6 ton) divided by 4.

I've had my SC for 14 years now and have tried numerous tyres. Hankook RA008 LT were my tyre of choice for about 3 sets but they wear too fast and are quite loud. Best tyres I've found regardless of reasonable price are the Neuton NT Plus. A chinese tyre for sure but one of the good ones. Great all round tyre. Quiet, smooth, good feel and grip dry & wet. I was put onto them when a BMW 530d I bought came with Neutons (275/30-19) and they were as good as Bridgestones I had on another car.
The load rating on the 215/70-15 on my SC is 98T (750kg)
Back to top Go down
Beenz44

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Sydney
Registration date : 2018-10-17

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 9:05 am

I just got a lh129 and my speedo is also over reading by 10%. It has 195/80/r15’s on it now and I assumed it is because they are a smaller tyre but as MalL just said he has 215’s on and still over reads. Could there be another issue?
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 29, 2019 11:51 am

215/70 & 195/80 are almost the same circumference. Only 1.6% difference.
I'd say you have a speedometer problem. Check whether your odometer matches your speedo the next time you're on the highway. If the odo is also out by 10% it could be the cable or drive from the transmission but I'd doubt that. More likely the speedo mechanism or electronics in the cluster.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help with correct tyres please....   Help with correct tyres  please.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help with correct tyres please....
Page 1 of 1