Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Head gasket 1996 fixing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Beeaddams

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Katoomba
Registration date : 2018-02-18

Head gasket 1996 fixing  Empty
PostSubject: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 1:59 pm

I’m looking to find any information about the head gasket/ engine for my 1996 model, turbo Diesel Hiace.
User manual? Booklets? PDFs?
Any Sydney/blue mountains NSW enthusiasts willing to share any knowledge about my Baby?

Also while you are here; let me share.
I drove her long distance in early July for about 2000kilometeres, all good.
In mid August, warmer than usual winter day (15degrees?) I drove her 15-20 mins to town(parked 3 times to pick up different things)
Upon reversing in my drive way, i get out of the front door, before closing it I hear gurgling of liquid followed by steam(smoke!? No) water/coolant was “bone dry”
I got two different advise from 2 mechanics. One said they found water in the oil and that’s a sure signs it’s a cracked head gasket.
Another said it’s either cracked or blown head gasket.

No one can be sure as it requires the whole engine taken apart t o know which.

What can I do in this situation.

All google symptoms of blown/cracked head gasket. Don’t measure up to my van -heating up, or being difficult.

Maybe its something else?

How else can water mix with the oil?

The gurgling liquid noise was under my seat. Not overheating, breaking down/?

Any advice or second opinion would be so amazing

My Van thanks you
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2019 7:05 pm

Sounds like a 1kz-te engine you have - yes?

Famous for cracking heads, so get the head checked and try to source a quality one as there's quite a discussion on the 4x4 forums about the 1kz heads.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 2:02 pm

I just had exactly the same problem last weekend. The van is at the garage now. Hoping for the best but expecting the worst. Will post update as soon as I know.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 3:54 pm

Andonic wrote:
I just had exactly the same problem last weekend.  The van is at the garage now.  Hoping for the best but expecting the worst.  Will post update as soon as I know.

Did you have it overheat? They seem to be fine if they don't, but the 1kz-te head can crack if they are.
Water pouring out could just be a hose or clamp.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 7:01 pm

Yes it did get really hot - As soon as I noticed the gauge go up I stopped - steam coming out from overflow tank. Let it cool down and added some water (about 4 litres) and it seemed okay so I carried on for 3 or 4 miles then same again. Cooled down, added water, got another 3 or 4 miles. I had to carry on another mile or 2 to my destination (funeral I had to be at). A few hours later filled up the cold engine with 8 litres! Drove home (11 miles) but the last half mile the gauge was creeping up.

It's the non-turbo engine (1KZ-T?) but I guess the weak spot is the same.

It's annoying that the gauge doesn't move off the middle until there really is a problem.

Lots of info on this forum, but I'm waiting to see what the mechanic says.

IN the meantime feel free to send crumbs of comfort or hope. I love my camper and hope she is okay!

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Andonic wrote:
Yes it did get really hot

:

It's annoying that the gauge doesn't move off the middle until there really is a problem.

Yes, I modded my gauge to remove the dead-spot:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3426-modding-the-toyota-temperature-gauge-no-zener-dead-zone?highlight=temperature+gauge

It could still do with a light / buzzer though.
At least without a turbo your engine will be easier to fix if they do need to get the head off, and you'll get a new timing belt etc too so it's not all bad. It may have even survived, we'll see.

Fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 12:41 pm

Just fitted a new timing belt in August Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Okay possible good news and worth you trying Beeadams? Mechanic said the water outlet housing was corroded, the radiator cap not seating and he replaced the housing (the bit below the radiator cap) and the thermostat inside it. Touch wood that may have solved the problem. If that doesn't seal all the water gets pushed out into the overflow bottle. He ran it for a long time but it needs me to take it on a longer drive to make sure it is okay. If it continues to lose water though probably something more serious.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 12:20 am

So far so good!
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 7:38 am

Let's hope that's all it was! I had a similar problem with the water outlet when I picked up my van at the port. Luckily the hole in one of the metal tubes was small, and a replacement outlet easy to source. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 10:08 am

Still overheating but not so bad as before. Not losing water as far as I can see. And the guage seems to be going up and down a lot between the middle (where it alsways used to be) and near the top. By the end of an hours drive I could hear the water boiling.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2019 10:33 am

Your first job should perhaps be to buy a new engine FAN hub, or to get it filled with more silicone oil. Lack of airflow due to a lazy fan appears to be the number one Hiace overheating cause. Not too expensive or difficult either.

Overheating may indicate you need a good system flush to get any sediment out, and to remove the radiator and flush or replace it.

Was the waterpump new with the belt? One assumes it's pumping it round well but if the flush doesn't work that's a thing to look at. It just needs a good impellor and to be driven with a good belt.

The mechanism is simple, circulate fluid in the engine and send it around the radiator to dissipate the heat.
Back to top Go down
Beeaddams

Number of posts : 11
Home City : Katoomba
Registration date : 2018-02-18

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 10:39 am

Thanks everyone for your reply’s.

Just fiy I am totally learning all these terms for the first time. I know little about cars until I am there learning when they screw up.

So my van has been idle for a few now, not sure what my next step should be ( hello noob

I go back to the source of the problem; my van wasn’t over heating as far as I could see the gauge.
The liquid gushing out under my seat is still a mystery of where it was actually from.
Could I perhaps not even have a head gasket issue ?
The mechanics of my van is still a mystery, so what could I possibly be hearing under my seat gurgling the liquid out that obviously covered the engine to produce steam?

Should I drain the oil, refill it, and use one of those head gasket sealers I’ve heard about, (cargo? Some other name ..?) that I put into the water along with coolant that heats up and seals any cracks?
( assuming it’s cracked and not blown, though god please let’s hope I can just get to the final diagnosis!!!
Which will never actually be unless the engine is taken apart. Lord help me. I love my girl.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitimeThu Sep 19, 2019 12:56 pm

It may be a simple rusted pipe or old hose, best fill it up and look underneath very carefully to check. Check for rusty heater pipes underneath (just behind the drivers seat position) as they are known to let go.

If your dipstick is all oil then it's probably just an external pipe or failed cap. If you refill and warm it up in place you'll see where the coolant comes from. (Be careful no pets get near to coolant as it's sweet but highly toxic. Best wear gloves too IMO).

I think you need to be looking for a pipe split/rust before anything else.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Head gasket 1996 fixing    Head gasket 1996 fixing  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Head gasket 1996 fixing
Page 1 of 1