Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sangern

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Hexham
Registration date : 2012-10-19

Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Empty
PostSubject: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi folks,
Recently bought a great Hiace camper 1994 Diesel 3L, however on our 1st major outing the head gasket blew along with & serious overheating. The head gasket has been changed by a local garage (cost £800) however still finding coolant being pushed out of expansion tank when the engine it hot & under load. The garage tells me it is probably cracked head or again blown gasket but tell me they did not send head off to check for cracks in head or distortion when they changed the gasket - wish I had known then what I now understand on this or I would have insisted they do it (any way hindsight is a great thing). Garage is trying to distance itself from the job & wants to charge full cost again to strip down again & check head for cracks or distortion.

Additional work done:
- Thermostat & radiator cap replaced
- Replaced some tired looking hoses & clips for heater & radiator
- Have tried 'T bars' just incase it is down to a leak in cooling system
- Have since flushed the cooling system with a prriatory additive & refilled the cooling system & done best to remove any airlocks (running with rad cap on & off) although there always seems to be some air in the front heater when I start the engine.
- The garage has also tried a sealant additive called 'Steel Seal' , but without success.

I am unceirtain now how best to proceed. Does anyone have any experience of cracked heads on Hiace campers? Does anyone know or able to recommend a garage or diesel engineer in the Northeast of England who could work on this. Or if it comes to it does anyone have any recommendations for where a new head/engine might be sourced. Any other suggestions welcome.

Many thanks in advance for you thoughts guys.
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 10:00 am

The Head Centre in Cornwall, gives advice over the phone and supplies good kit.

Garage is at fault for not checking the head, charging you for work that has not repaired the fault. On the off chance it may just be a cheap gasket and not a Toyota one. Did they use new head bolts?

Claim a full refund and take it elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
sangern

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 11:18 am

Thanks for this Clive, I'll have a chat to the Head centre.

Questioned garage over use of torque once bolts, after reading something about this on the forum - The garage told me they did not use new head bolts & tell me that new ones were not needed for my vehicle. I will try to find out what gaskets they used. Doubtful over chances of refund without having to get legal.

Do you know of any contacts in the North east of England?

Regards
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 1:24 pm

Head bolts are the stretch type and must be measured for re-use in accordance with Toyota specifications. Best to use new bolts.

Small claims court cost you nothing to raise the paper work, funny how many claims gets settled out of court before court costs are incurred.

Can't help with any contacts.
Back to top Go down
sangern

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 1:28 pm

Thanks Clive, will discuss bolts again with the garage.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Found this on another forum as a recommended garage -

AS Auto
60 Springmill Street,
Bradford,
West Yoorkshire.
BD5 7HF.

01274 395805.

May be a bit far for you but it was all i could find.
Back to top Go down
burgoine13

Number of posts : 1
Home City : tauranga new zealand
Registration date : 2012-11-17

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 12:49 am

hi there i have a 1987 hiace converted camper with a 3L diesel engine have had the head off as my cambelt tensioner went to check the vavles have had alook and all seems to b ok. but need the camshaft tourques and head bolt tourques was woundering if you could help as i live in my van and am struggaling to find them as in remote part of new zealand and no wheels meens i cant drive around to find any thanks for your time
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitimeSun Dec 23, 2012 12:17 am

burgoine13 wrote:
hi there i have a 1987 hiace converted camper with a 3L diesel engine have had the head off as my cambelt tensioner went to check the vavles have had alook and all seems to b ok. but need the camshaft tourques and head bolt tourques was woundering if you could help as i live in my van and am struggaling to find them as in remote part of new zealand and no wheels meens i cant drive around to find any thanks for your time

I have just re-uploaded the hiace and 2L / 3L engine service manuals, search for my recent posts in this area of the forum.

Have a great Christmas!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head   Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiace Diesel head gasket/cracked head
Page 1 of 1