Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

‘95 Super Custom roof leaking

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
MikeTW

Number of posts : 7
Home City : Wellington
Registration date : 2019-02-06

‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Empty
PostSubject: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:12 am

Hi all,

So I have 3 sunroofs on my beast - 1 pop-up at the front, another pop-up at the rear, and a sliding moonroof in the middle.

When it’s raining heavily, water streams out of a hole that’s in a solid black housing that’s between the roof and the ceiling trim. This housing is what the moonroof retracts into so is located between the moonroof & rear pop-up roof.

There are actually 2 holes, one on on each side of this housing (water only comes out of one) and there are also pipes running out at a lower point than the holes. These pipes run down the back pillars of the van toward the taillights.

Now I’m guessing that the housing also acts as a trough to collect any rainwater that may get past the moonroof seals, and is ejected out via the pipe.

If this pipe is blocked, rainwater will build up & exit via this hole.

Has anyone encountered this problem? And managed to fix it?

Any help would be AWESOME!

Cheers,

Mike
Back to top Go down
MikeTW

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:13 am

‘95 Super Custom roof leaking 88e68a10
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2019 10:58 am

Is that the tube that exits down past the fuel filler cap?
I.e. rear left?

The way Toyota squashed that pipe in past the filler leaves it slightly flattened it, I put a round metal clip on mine to force it into round again.

For me that is your cheif suspect as dirt builds up around the narrowing and will eventually block the pipe. You'll have to pop the trim top off and the trim out of that side to fix properly, but a quick blowout may shift it for a while.
Back to top Go down
MikeTW

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 9:56 am

Hi GPW, thanks for the reply... Yip, it exits under the rear wheel arch, same side as the fuel filler cap.

Had some luck - removed plastic pipe and shoved some clothes line (plastic covered wire) down to see if I could budge it, but no luck. From the length used, I could tell the blockage was only about 400mm from where the pipe exits under the wheel arch. Managed to get line past blockage and up & out the top. Tied a knot, pulled it back through, and cleared pipe. Syringed hot soapy water through until ran clear.

Is the flattened section of pipe under the 2 panels that run below the back window? Might do as you suggest to make sure it remains clear. Might do the other side while I’m at it too.

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2019 11:24 am

The other side is probably fine as there's no restriction there.
The inside of the fuel bay forms a bulge into the panel space and the way Toyota routed the pipe means it gets squashed a but - I could see on mine that was where all the debris collected, nowhere else.

So yes, on the inside where the fuel hatch starts, the top trim should lift out, the side trim has a nasty connection near the front (slider) but you should be able to leave most of it in just to access the pipe.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 pm

On the fuel filler side, whoever had installed mine at the factory had actually kinked the pipe and it had an full elbow in it and the end didn't exit the van! It would never have properly drained from new and the owners before me would periodically have had wet rear carpet. Their install technique on the production line must have done this to many many many Super Customs out there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking   ‘95 Super Custom roof leaking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

‘95 Super Custom roof leaking
Page 1 of 1