Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km? Empty
PostSubject: Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km?   Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 11:50 am

Hi guys

I think this is a dilemna for every vehicle owner. My timing belt was replaced just 5 years ago, and in that time the van has done just 15,000 km. I think the recommended interval is 60 months or 100,000 km whichever is sooner. Any thoughts on whether I should risk going beyond the 5 years interval given the mileage is so low? I bet it would be fone for another 10 years but is it worth the risk?

Nick
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km?   Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 1:08 pm

I would have it done the same time as a radiator flush, new coolant, thermostat and possibly fan boss too, whenever you decide to get it done.

The recommended intervals for changig should be on a plate under the passenger seat (carpet) toward the wheel arch (i.e. toward where you'd be standing while searching for it.

Worth also doing is researching your particular engine on the internet as some types last a lot longer than others: possibly your engine is shared with a Hilux, landcruiser etc to give you more opinions and experience.
Back to top Go down

Should I replace timing belt at 5 years and only 15,000 km?
Page 1 of 1