Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anyone ever install a diesel heater?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Number of posts : 67
Home City : Charleston, SC USA
Model and year : 1992 LH107 Super Custom
1994 LH119 Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-05-09

Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 1:06 am

I am looking to install a diesel heater, like an Eberspacher.  My biggest question is where to mount it.  Has anyone ever installed something like this?

Anyone ever install a diesel heater? 2a10
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Back to top Go down
jafo843
Not so new now
Not so new now
jafo843

Number of posts : 67
Home City : Charleston, SC USA
Model and year : 1992 LH107 Super Custom
1994 LH119 Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2018-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Oh man, that is exactly what I was looking for.. Thanks!

Does it work well for you?
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 16, 2019 10:19 pm

Haven't run it yet, it's just positioned for now so I could cut and fit the floor..

I'l use ducting and a Y splitter to get hot air to the front and back and am arranging a 12V computer fan on a variable PWM controller to give an air extraction system so the air doesn't get stale.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2021 1:12 am

I had mine installed just behind the first row of rear seats. Just relocated it to the right rear corner (behind the camper cupboard structure in the cruising cabin.)

It’s close to the exhaust and the hot air ducting was really easy to run. Used a solid fuel line to come through the frame in that area. Even the wiring worked out well as I could run it behind the side panels and used the port where the rear sonar wires had come through to locate the pump connection.

Check it out here:

https://youtu.be/59m-RBV0y_Y
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Happyjack
Happyjack

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Corby
Model and year : 1990 pop-roof Hiace Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2014-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:07 pm

Hi , I have the same Camping Cabin interior as Merlin.
After much debating and before seeing his video I came to exactly the same conclusion and fitted my diesel heater just behind the rear driver side wheel.
The floor panel there is exactly the right shape.
I reduced the outlet vent of the heater with an adaptor from 75mm to 60mm and ran 60mm hose forward between the wheel arch and the inside of the cupboard.
I was reluctant to cut holes in the skirting of the cupboards as Merlin has done so Ive tee'd into the ducting to the existing rectangular vent that is normally supplied by the rear van heater.
I've blanked off the supply from van heater.
I tee'd some 4mm id flexible fuel line into the outer most of the vans fuel lines that run forward to the engine.
This goes straight to a check valve and then more rubber fuel line is run to the rear of the van and around the fuel tank to get to the heater fuel pump (via a fuel filter).
I've fired it up a couple of times and it seems to work fine.
If I was going to do it again I would probably go for the physically smaller 2kW model.
Merlin states in his video about the 5kW model being too hot.
And he lives in BC !   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? 1f605
Back to top Go down
Happyjack
Happyjack

Number of posts : 10
Home City : Corby
Model and year : 1990 pop-roof Hiace Cruising Cabin
Registration date : 2014-07-22

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2021 5:12 pm

And if you want to know all there is to know about diesel night heaters check out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvwmU_CcmGI&t=73s

This guy has done a whole series of videos on the subject.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 30, 2021 11:47 pm

Hello.

This is on my list, too and yes the 2kW is probably quite sufficient, even for a poorly insulated metal box with a thin to non-existant (plastic and canvass) lid.

There are lots of YT vids for the better German v cheaper Chinese variants and I think I'll go for a 2kW Eberspacher (D2D, I think it's called). I've been watching this set (_ttps://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7320300C8D970A39) made by a guy who seeming spends his days maintaining these heaters and what they don't like is to run at low output levels, so you don't want a big heater in a small space. Like any diesel engine they need to run at a decent air (heat) level otherwise they get sooty and are then more work to maintain and keep going. Also the Eberspacher seem to have better electronics and I've even downloaded the diagnostic software in advance. If you google the software name on DIY Helper's PC screen when he's showing the fault codes when working on these heaters then you can easily find the diagnostic software. I doubt anything similar is readily available for the cheaper variants.

Heater placement might be behind the rear wheel on the RHD as Merlin has done (good vids) but I'd also like to explore the option of fitting infront of the rear wheel on the RHS and possibly trying to integrate into the existing rear hearer ducting setup.

Anyway that's the limit of my thinking at the moment.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Merlin_
Not so new now
Not so new now
Merlin_

Number of posts : 76
Home City : Nelson BC
Model and year : 92 Hiace 4x4 Diesel Cruising Cabin
99 Tercel ce *mint*
00 Tacoma *loved and now lost, sold to buy my van!*
Registration date : 2012-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 02, 2021 4:42 pm

No doubt the brand name heaters are superior but of course the cost is higher than the Chinese copy. From what I understand if you are running then on low it is a good idea to crank it up to max from time to time to avoid soot deposits
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/mjr760
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever install a diesel heater?   Anyone ever install a diesel heater? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever install a diesel heater?
Page 1 of 1