Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Superbilly

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Brisbane
Registration date : 2018-01-08

Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Empty
PostSubject: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 2:23 am

Hi there, this is my first post. I've appreciated reading the great articles here.

I have an automatic 1997 model G full time 4WD and I need to move it asap and haven't been able to afford the front drive shaft from Japan yet. If anyone has one
Is Australia please let me know!

My question is can I drive this vehicle with the front drive shafts off. I have bashed apart two old hilux ones and fitted the ends into the hubs to prevent dirt getting in. I have the diff G292 which is not limited slip diff. Can I drive this as 2wd or will I damage the viscous coupling or other parts? Thanks, Billy
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi Billy,
So you have the front diff still in but no axles? Or front diff is removed?
G292 is the rear diff, front diff is different (but will not be an LSD anyway).

Did you already try to drive it a couple of meters? And doesn't it drive like you have a worn out clutch (more revs than driving because it slips over the free running front axle).

Do you have a locking button for the center? Probably not, but if you have this kind of button it would greatly help. In our case it is a selectable 4wd button. But I think it is selectable OR full time, not both.

I would also expect damage on the viscou coupling, maybe the rest is fine. But how much do you have to move it?

Perhaps it would be better to tow it away with someone who has a van or ute / pickup or something.
Back to top Go down
Superbilly

PostSubject: Re: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 1:19 pm

G'day, hiace4wd
It is not a selectable 4wd on this vehicle. Well I won't drive it any further than a few meters for now. Will just have to wait to find a CV in Australia. The CV shafts are the only parts removed from vehicle.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitimeMon Jan 08, 2018 3:24 pm

Hi Billy, ah only a few meter, then you can even push it Smile

I'm not sure about what you did to the front hubs, but it sounds like it could work.

It would be interesting to know if it really drives that bad and barely moves (which means a lot of wear on the visco coupling), or if it isn't that bad.
Back to top Go down
Superbilly

PostSubject: Re: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitimeTue Jan 09, 2018 1:47 am

G'day, hiace4wd
It is not a selectable 4wd on this vehicle. Well I won't drive it any further than a few meters for now. Will just have to wait to find a CV in Australia. The CV shafts are the only parts removed from vehicle.

Thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD   Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Driving Full time 4x4 as a RWD
Page 1 of 1