Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL

Go down 
+10
g00se
petros
johnp
djathens
holidayboy
Bigman1207
*Ned*
toldsimply
GPW
bordurat
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 278
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 14, 2023 11:43 am

Hi,

With the diesels, some of the transmissions use electric solenoids to change gear (others use hydraulic pressure) - driven from the ECU. My guess would be the either the ECU or solenoids were effected by the lack of current.
Back to top Go down
Bignove

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Auckland NZ
Registration date : 2024-01-12

PostSubject: Thank you    ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 12, 2024 11:53 pm

An old thread, so not sure if the OP is still active, but just wanted to join to say a big thank you for putting the guide up.

My neighbour, an old retired guy who is suffering from mental decline and doesn't have much money, was having issues with his Hiace. I saw him struggling with it so offered to help, diagnosed it was the alternator and offered to replace it for him for the cost of the parts.

The job was a bit of a pig, mainly because of access and the amount of stuff I had to remove or move out of the way, but got it done without losing too much skin off my arms and knuckles. But I got it done and the report back is it runs better than it has in a long time. The guide helped immensely!

So again thank you, you indirectly helped a lovely old guy keep his van on the road for a while longer Smile

LH119V and g00se like this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2024 7:29 pm

Yes, good on you, Bignove.

Toyota didn’t make replacing the alternator very easy on the Hiace. The bracketry and tensioning isn’t really different to on any similar-aged Toyota, but access is not straightforward.

My Hiace also has the brake booster and 4WD actuation generated from a vacuum pump on the alternator so this is another complication.

What joy!!

Gissit and Bignove like this post

Back to top Go down
Gissit
Not so new now
Not so new now
Gissit

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Gloucester
Model and year : 4X4 LH119 3L Engine
Registration date : 2020-10-15

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 14, 2024 7:40 pm

I found mine quite simple but I have removed the air conditioning and that makes access much easier. I took the AC out because I wanted to fit a water tank in the front where the condenser is

Bignove likes this post

Back to top Go down
Bignove

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 3:12 am

LH119V wrote:
Yes, good on you, Bignove.

Toyota didn’t make replacing the alternator very easy on the Hiace. The bracketry and tensioning isn’t really different to on any similar-aged Toyota, but access is not straightforward.

My Hiace also has the brake booster and 4WD actuation generated from a vacuum pump on the alternator so this is another complication.

What joy!!

Yep vacuum pump for me to deal with as well. I've done plenty of alternator swaps in the past on various cars I've owned before and all straight forward because it's all easy to get to. Without the engine nestled in the guts of a Hiace, this would have been an easy job too.

I live next to a beach and years of salt air didn't help either, a lot of it was arguing with bolts and bits that just didn't want to move.
Back to top Go down
Bignove

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 15, 2024 3:15 am

Gissit wrote:
I found mine quite simple but I have removed the air conditioning and that makes access much easier. I took the AC out because I wanted to fit a water tank in the front where the condenser is

The AC doesn't work, I was tempted to ask if the pump needed to be there ongoing.
Back to top Go down
moxabest

Number of posts : 2
Home City : chatswood
Registration date : 2024-04-19

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am

amazing posts, i am reading through many times, i come to step to remove alternor now, hope anything ok. many thanks
Back to top Go down
moxabest

Number of posts : 2
Home City : chatswood
Registration date : 2024-04-19

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 8:06 am

how to unplug the rear alternator , i tried to pull out, no success, i worry to broke it.
also big charing cable to battery 10mm nut not moving after i took off the plastic cap
thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL   ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ALTERNATOR REMOVAL WITH PICTURES 3L 1992 SCL
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2