Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

extraction of alternator

Go down 
+2
Clive
tamarack
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

Number of posts : 101
Home City : Vancouver
Model and year : 92 Super Custom part time 4WD 2.8 3L auto
Registration date : 2010-04-21

extraction of alternator Empty
PostSubject: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 am

can it come out from below or does the AC compressor need to be removed, then lifted out from the top after removal of the drivers seat and floor??? I was about to drive it away from the mechanic after not having it a year (he rebuilt the inject pump) and the battery is not charging

I asked him to check the belt first because i've had problems with it loosening before...may need a new tensioner as there is just a piece of ready rod with a bolt welded on to substitute the one that was stripped
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 11:59 am

Not sure on your engine but all others it is up only, well forward and up. Best of luck and hope it is just the diode pack.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2013 4:02 pm

yes i hope it's not the rotor. Does the AC compressor have to come out? Does it take a pro 4 hrs for the re and re?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 8:12 am

Not ever had to touch anything but as I say not worked on your engine. 4 hours eeerm no, 1 at the most, a lot less if you've done it before.
Drivers floor out, belt loosened and moved, alt out - not complicated.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 11:43 pm

well the ac compressor had to be completely taken out and the bottom bolt on the alternator was almost inacessable. finally got it out. Shop put new diodes in as the old ones failed. Also put new brushes in since it was out. That was a pain and it's not going to be easy putting it iin again.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 am

Well you live and learn.

Was the bolt inaccessable due to the AC pump being in the way or was it that you did not have the correct tool?
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 2:43 am

toyota probably has the correct tool- it would be hard to find in a left hand drive country like here.(never seen a left hand hiace here) The third socket worked and the alternator is charging again at 13.5 Volts.

Now the starting issue has to be resolved. If I run a wire form the strater to the battery the vehicle will start but not otherwise. it might be the keyless entry/immoblizer... I think it must be a relay... do you happen to know where the starter relay (relays) are located and/or have the proper wiring diagram.
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 1:48 pm

relays are in the battery compartment or on the passenger side of the centre console hope this helps
cheers dave
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 8:25 am

Starter motor contacts most likely, the full power direct feed gets them working.
Easy to replace and available on ebay(UK). Or just fit a swtch on the direct link, press button stating?
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 am

starting issue is intermittent. Starts sometimes 3 or 4 times then not at all. installed push button and does the same thing. I guess the best thing to do is to remove the starter and take it in to be bench tested and have the contacts replaced and the solenoid or bend-ex ([pinion gear) changed or remanufactured or rebuilt. After spending the better part of a months pay already just to get this old wagon to move occasionally, I'm starting to feel like I need something else from her if I'm going to put out any more.
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 6:31 am

ok group,,,the old machine is back on the road again. The starter wires were not making contact as the bolts were a little loose. Should have checked this first
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2013 2:38 pm

On the road again!
Back to top Go down
joyfull

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Plymouth
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Vantech High Top
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Clive wrote:
Not ever had to touch anything but as I say not worked on your engine. 4 hours eeerm no, 1 at the most, a lot less if you've done it before.
Drivers floor out, belt loosened and moved, alt out - not complicated.

Need to replace alternator. Sounds noisy so probably bearings. Rh drive. Do you open up the drivers floor plan to access? 1996 hiace
Back to top Go down
tamarack
Been here a while
Been here a while
tamarack

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 4:17 am

best to have the alternator serviced and rebuilt. A new one will cost you deep in the purse. it cost me 170 cdn dollars to have mine rebuilt (not including extraction and replacment) and it works like a charm. Check the tightness of the belt as well. Should be two belts. If you don't have the correct tools go to a shop that has worked on Hiace vans before. Ask for an estimate and after mechanic gives you an estimate ask if it will be any more that that.
Back to top Go down
joyfull

Number of posts : 15
Home City : Plymouth
Model and year : 1996 Hiace Vantech High Top
Registration date : 2014-03-13

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2015 12:20 pm

tamarack wrote:
best to have the alternator serviced and rebuilt.  A new one will cost you deep in the purse.  it cost me 170 cdn dollars to have mine rebuilt (not including extraction and replacment) and it works like a charm.  Check the tightness of the belt as well.  Should be two belts.  If you don't have the correct tools go to a shop that has worked on Hiace vans before.  Ask for an estimate and after mechanic gives you an estimate ask if it will be any more that that.

My question was how to get it out?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2015 3:33 pm

Drivers seat out and floor plate up on most Toyota engines.
Back to top Go down
Roop

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Llandrindod Wells
Registration date : 2016-08-17

PostSubject: Alternator removal   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 8:26 am

I have hiace super custom 1996. alternator not charging. Does anyone know if there's a manual for how to remove. Looks like air condition pump needs removing first and then the belts. I'm a bit of a novice so need some step by step guides.
Back to top Go down
bordurat
bordurat

Number of posts : 12
Home City : South Shore Mtl
Model and year : 1992 super custom limited lh107w
Registration date : 2016-09-07

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitimeThu Sep 07, 2017 7:52 pm

randywilliamc likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: extraction of alternator   extraction of alternator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

extraction of alternator
Page 1 of 1