Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
RhodyM20
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 20
Home City : Providence
Model and year : 1981 Hiace
Registration date : 2016-10-21

Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Empty
PostSubject: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 2:47 pm

Hello everyone.

I am back with another parts request...for my 1981 Hiace.

I am in need of the steering drag link, or rod assembly, depending on what you call it. It is circled in  the photo and I need for a LHD vehicle.

I cannot find it anywhere! Even a good used one would be better than what I have now. Or...can you replace that bushing if the bar itself cannot be found?

Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Steeri10

Any help appreciated!
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 3:09 pm

Have you got a quote from Toyota yet?
Back to top Go down
RhodyM20
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 3:30 pm

US dealers will not supply parts for this vehicle since it was never sold here, unfortunately, and Amayama Trading said they could not get it.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 4:09 pm

That's a shame, the UK seem better for that.

If you take it off you could probably get it repaired/remanufactured at the right place - somewhere that does race cars etc, I'd think they are always making up custom rods and joints.

What bit needs replacing?
You may be able to have the end cut and threaded for a new steering balljoint to be screwed onto the end.
Back to top Go down
RhodyM20
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 4:12 pm

Yeah....the issue is it's a ball and socket joint which is machined into the of the rod. The worn bushing is integral to the rod assembly so I would need to find a matching part to have threaded, and I can't even find that much.

If there was a UK dealer that was willing to search for the part, I would happily do business with them.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 4:35 pm

RhodyM20 wrote:
Yeah....the issue is it's a ball and socket joint which is machined into the of the rod. The worn bushing is integral to the rod assembly so I would need to find a matching part to have threaded, and I can't even find that much.

If there was a UK dealer that was willing to search for the part, I would happily do business with them.

So the ball-sock joint is worn?
Is this the bit on the left that looks like a track-rod end?

Google 'Track rod end' to see a huge variety of those - would one of those fit?
If you sawed the end off and threaded the rod with a die set (M10-M12?) you could then screw one of those on.

Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly 1146-2
Back to top Go down
RhodyM20
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitimeTue Jan 31, 2017 4:46 pm

That is looking like a possibility. Not ideal but I'm not sure where else I'd find this part unless someone knows of new old stock hiding somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly   Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wanted: Steering drag link / rod assembly
Page 1 of 1