Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom

Go down 
+2
GPW
mickB
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 9:36 pm

My rx8 alloys aren't selling so I'm tempted to chuck them back on, wind the steering lock stops out and see what it looks like
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 24, 2017 11:18 pm

When you get a chance and the wheels are settled can you measure the ride height of the front for me please?
Wheel centre to wheel arch.

I'll check by eye but as mine is definitely rising now it would be good to know the standard height at the front. Could you measure both sides please? Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
ruffnut
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
ruffnut

Number of posts : 1042
Home City : Highett Australia
Model and year : kzh100 1996
Registration date : 2008-02-28

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 2:47 am

Don't forget to check the wieght rateing as your insurance may not pay out if they do not comply.
Back to top Go down
mickB
Been here a while
Been here a while
mickB

Number of posts : 265
Home City : Coventry
Model and year : 1992 SC 2.4TD
Registration date : 2016-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 8:38 am

GPW wrote:
When you get a chance and the wheels are settled can you measure the ride height of the front for me please?
Wheel centre to wheel arch.

I'll check by eye but as mine is definitely rising now it would be good to know the standard height at the front. Could you measure both sides please? Thanks in advance!

I've already wound the front down GPW, turned about 25mm down on the threads
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 8:49 am

Ah OK Mick I remember now. Not to worry, now I know where the bup stops are (and how close they are) I can make some judgements.

Not sure how I'm going to raise the back until I take out the springs and measure - if I think Rav4 standards will do it I'll probably use those as it may be easier than cutting up rubber spacers to go under the spring assy.

I will measure the level moment later though so I can calculate extra length at string vs extra height at wheel.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 25, 2017 9:44 am

ruffnut wrote:
Don't forget to check the wieght rateing as your insurance may not pay out if they do not comply.

The VIA load rating on Japanese wheels should always be on the outside of the wheel somewhere (so a wheel fitter can see it), for instance:

Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 IMG_20170325_092109192_HDR

The tyre itself will also have a load rating, note that the max load is AT the max pressure: I..e the tyre in the pic has 750kg only when inflated to 50 psi.

Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 IMG_20170325_092041861_HDR

Wheel strength is one thing, fatigue is another and excessively bumpy roads and low profile tyres stress the alloy more and can result in fractures over time - like James's May's Volvo in Top Gear's Africa Special.
This is another reason not to run on the bump stops Very Happy

The Export certificated weight of my SC was 850kg at the back (425kg per wheel unladen) and 1050kg at the front (525kg per wheel unladen).
With a 80kg driver then the front wheel load is 505kg which on mine gives a margin of 185kg per wheel.

TBH on the Hiace I wouldn't go below 690kg wheel rating - also there seems to be a good selection of wheels with that figure based on a scan of a few forums. On a longer wheelbase or camper you need to weigh your vehicle.

Steel wheels will be safer IMO as they bend rather than crack but are not so available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom    Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alloy wheel sizes on a Super Custom
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3