Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

Number of posts : 30
Home City : Bristol
Model and year : 1998 AM Craft Hiace Campervan 2.8 Auto
Registration date : 2016-03-14

1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Empty
PostSubject: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Hello all,

Had my van for about 3 months so far, and loving it.
But getting to know it inside and out.
So, drove for 2.5 hours today in the hottest weather so far.
It was very hot inside. All fans function, but A/C in both the cab and the unit serving the back was poor/not making any real difference.
So, has anyone taken 1998 to a regular garage for a re-gas or will the fact its older/japanese create issues?
Im in Bristol UK, any recommendations?
With some long motorway journeys to tackle in the summer on the continent having all the windows open wont always be a choice.

Thanks in advance, im sure i'll be floating more questions as I get closer to departure!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 8:27 am

If you can locate the filler hole, then you can check the pressure. It is the same like a tire valve, you can press it quickly to see if there is still any pressure on it.

Since it is from '98 it will probably using the normal gas variant, and not the old one. My 1994 Celica with A/C could also be serviced like a regular car, nothing special with the old generation of gas.

I think you can just take it to any garage that does A/C stuff. Check level, and perhaps check for leaks. (they sometimes add some stuff that lights up under UV light, to check for leaks)
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 9:02 am

Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 9:38 am

By the way, I think that I saw that the A/C radiator (and thus some tubes) is in the front of the car, between headlights, above/behind front bumper. But I don't have A/C. Just saying, if you need to check it for leaks.

The filler plug thing is probably in the engine compartment I would guess. You can remove the cap and press the pin (shortly!) with your key or something. If it makes a lot of hissing sound it is still at pressure, and there is another problem. if it makes a soft sound or no sound, it is empty and needs a refill.
But since it is an old car and you don't know the history, it would be good if there is garage/workshop that can add some stuff to check for leaks. Otherwise they may need to do it later again, which might increase the cost. But they will also have an opinion about it since it is their profession.
Back to top Go down
georgefreeways
Not so new now
Not so new now
georgefreeways

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 06, 2016 9:44 am

There is some "Coolness" but not very much, so i'll check for pressure when i "pop the hood" later.(sorry, i meant adjust the seats back /secure them, remove carpet/ life engine hatch!) Got to love the JDM design!

Many thanks Hiace4wd, you also pointed me in the right direction with my fuses last time I asked, and now I have a much better idea about my vans electrics! Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Contact go-cool in Yate - George will come to you and test, deep vacuum, test fill with CO2 then vacuum again and refill until he is happy. Takes two to three hours. Last had him do a car 4 years ago for £140, still fine 4 years on.

I would not advise using the top up unless you are 100% sure you do not have a leak, the gas can kill.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 8:19 pm

georgefreeways wrote:
so i'll check for pressure when i "pop the hood" later.(sorry, i meant adjust the seats back /secure them, remove carpet/ life engine hatch!) Got to love the JDM design!

When you pop the hood, have a look under the carpet between the engine hole and the passenger door - mine states R134a there - which is the refrigerant type.

Some other rather useful info is under there too - like the oil grades and service intervals - use Android's google 'translate' to convert the Japanese to english.
Back to top Go down
Ace MM
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 49
Home City : California USA
Model and year : 1990 Super Custom 4WD Diesel LH107
Registration date : 2016-10-12

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitimeWed Nov 16, 2016 6:45 am

recently converted my AC from R12 to R134. I was concerned as the previous owner never used it since he owned it.
the system had residual pressure so we went for it.
Everything now works cheers

Quote :
use Android's google 'translate' to convert the Japanese to english.
This app has been most helpful!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...   1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1998 Hiace Amcraft Camper Air Con issues...
Page 1 of 1