Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Failed charging unit...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Failed charging unit... Empty
PostSubject: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi,
     I've lost a terminal from the charging splitter on my camper.  It's a '94 and the unit is pretty basic: just a diode pair with heatsink.
 There are better alternatives available now. Either drop-in replacements with Schottky diodes or FET based ones... or I could change to a split charge relay (vsr?).

Anyone any advice?  I'm thinking the Schottky ones look sensibly priced and will be an improvement on the old setup but would I notice the difference if I spent the extra for FETs? A voltage sensitive split charge relay looks like a decent alternative but I'd prefer to have a solid state one than electromechanical... Are they available?  Expensive?

Thanks!

Cheers,
             W.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 7:14 am

I think the voltage sensing charge relais are cheaper, and they don't have the voltage drop-off.
And I think they will last quite long as well. I'm also using a relais.
I don't think you would find such a thing in solid state, it would also make it expensive, but I could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 7:51 am

Hi,
   Thanks for the advice, Hiace4wd. I'm keen to stick with a solid state unit, though, rather than introduce something electromechanical. Would be nice to improve on the old diode-pack, though.

While researching, and trying to find a price for a solid state split charge relay, I came across a FET based charge splitter on eBay for sensible money. It's one of these:

https://www.victronenergy.com/battery-isolators-and-combiners/argo-fet-battery-isolators

...and looks like it should do what I want.

Will feed back in a while, once it's in and working.

Cheers,
         W.
Back to top Go down
Hiace4wd
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Hiace4wd

Number of posts : 796
Home City : Netherlands
Model and year : 1994 Toyota Hiace 4x4 DIY camper
Registration date : 2016-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitimeThu Feb 25, 2016 8:31 am

Ok that sounds good. I have a Victron Solar charger and I think the Victron products are really nice.

That solution is still not as cheap as a voltage detection charge relay, but I guess the price is reasonable for what you get. And almost no voltage loss so that's good.

I just bought a simple 200A relay for 10 euro that I need to hook up automatically (to alternator). I use it manually now, and it works quite well for such a cheap solution. But most of the time I don't use it, because I have a huge 175W solar panel. That always keeps the battery full (at least in holiday time) even though I have a fridge with small freezer on board.
Back to top Go down
pauly1972

Number of posts : 3
Home City : sunderland
Registration date : 2016-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 5:15 pm

Hi spanner do u have a ecu diagram for a 1996 hiace camper 1kzte it's a early one with a single 26 pin plug many thanks paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Failed charging unit...   Failed charging unit... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Failed charging unit...
Page 1 of 1