Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
ajthompson

Number of posts : 1
Home City : auckland, New Zealand
Registration date : 2013-03-09

2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold Empty
PostSubject: 2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold   2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold Icon_minitimeSat Mar 09, 2013 1:11 am

Hi guys.
I'm starting a bit of a project on my van.
Its a 4wd hiace 1992 with hi-lo ratio and locking hubs, and it recently cracked its head :-(
so I'm taking the old smokey 3L out of it and i've now got a 5L to replace it.

heres the tricky bit... im turning the 5L into a 5L-T.
so i borrowed a surf CT20 turbo and manifold to see how it bolts up, which i does, except its sitting way too high.
the way the turbo is sitting means i cant replace the inspection panel under the drivers seat. It could still be possible, but would require some serious modification of the inspection panel and seat rails.

long story short, heres my question:

does the manifold on the hiace 2LT make the turbo sit lower, and/ or is the inspection panel of a different shape on an early supercustom to mine?

any help would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: 2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold   2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold Icon_minitimeMon Mar 11, 2013 7:20 am

Don't know the answer, but can't you fit a short section of pipe to act as a spacer and move the turbo down?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold   2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:21 am

You need the low- blow exhaust manifold from a turbo 2.4L Hiace. (most of the ones I have seen were pre 1989 models)
From the same vehicle you will need the oil lines and the water lines for the turbo as well.
You would probably be wise to switch to a remote oil filter setup too, as the turbo sits not too far from the stock oil filter location and it makes things more than a little warm for the oil.
(Whilst your at it, fit an oil cooler too, early model hiace's run fairly warm anyway's, fitting a turbo pushes the cooling and oiling systems to the limit.)

I hope this helps,

Jeff.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold   2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

2lt hiace manifold vs. 2lt Hilux surf manifold
Page 1 of 1