Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ecu light when coasting

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : NZ
Registration date : 2011-03-09

ecu light when coasting Empty
PostSubject: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:09 am

weird problem just started on my 1998 1kz-te supercustom. getting worse too. when coasting down a steep hill the engine check light comes on. eventually goes out after a few sec, but lately is coming on more often and staying on longer. the error code its throwing is 14, which i believe relates to frozen fuel, blocked filter, engine timing control valve or fuel pump fault.

what would be the likely cause from coasting downhill? sometimes does it even when using light throttle. but ALWAYS downhill on a reasonable gradient.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 am

Why coast? The ECU will shut off fuel, the engine will provide engine braking, what are you trying to gain besides an out of control vehicle?
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2012 7:01 pm

umm, to clarify i dont mean coast out of gear or anything. i just mean going down a hill off throttle, engine braking... terminology not perfect sorry..
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 8:17 am

Ah right, sorry for going for the throat.

On tickover down hill, getting worse or for longer periods.

Downhill should help fuel flow.

Does it do the same with a full tank? There is a pick up filter in the tank that may be partially blocked.
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 6:53 pm

yea it does do it with a full tank too unfortunately. seems a little bizzare...
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Well a new fuel filter is cheap enough to try.......
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeTue Nov 06, 2012 7:43 pm

true might as well give it a try, are they easy to fit?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 am

Filter yes worth a try.

I'd also check all the fuel lines, maybe one is soft and collapsing?

Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2012 6:08 pm

Easy job once you unbolt the holder....worth checking the filter water drain under the filter just before though...possibly its almost full and needing draining?.......It has a sensor to indicate when full, but not sure which dash light it activates..........
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 7:46 am

So I had the local toyota dealership replace the fuel filter. Problem is still happening. One would hope that they drained any water when replacing the filter, I would assume you cant do one without the other anyway? Its bizzare it only does it downhill... Im tempted to unplug the water sensor and see what happens when going downhill... dodgy sensor?

Another issue I have is a terribly rough start when cold. It almost feels like the engine is giving a massive miss or pre ignite on startup crank when the engine is warm. I have had engine mounts checked and they are fine. It doesn't do it when cold, only a massive shudder when hot. I doubt the two issues are related tho...? The engine runs mint and never misses a beat apart from these two weird issues...
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 am

or, if these problems were to be related could it be the timing control valve... the ecu code is 14, one solution refers to timing control valve. I dont know what this valve does, but could it cause rough start..?
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:56 pm

Some developments, after trying a new filter, checking the timing control valve my mechanic decided to talk to someone who had experienced this issue before. Apparently they had struck it before and made it their hobby to fix... something about the fuel pump getting fooled into thinking it has poor fuel flow due to a feed pipe in the wrong place... anyhow, the mechanic adjusted the fuel pump timing(apparently?), which made the problem worse... so he then re adjusted, and touch wood not a problem since Smile

Except it still starts very rough sometimes, just a huge "kick" on fire up, mainly when hot...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ecu light when coasting   ecu light when coasting Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ecu light when coasting
Page 1 of 1