Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

Number of posts : 160
Home City : Flinders Park, South Australia
Model and year : 06/94 Toyota Hiace Super Custom 3.0L TD AWD
Registration date : 2012-01-19

Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Empty
PostSubject: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 12:08 am

Yesterday when I went to go home from work, I discovered to my dismay, a small "lake" on the rubber mat and very soggy carpet on the driver's side of the van. We only had relatively light rain and I am sure that the window and door were shut properly (I think I would have preferred that they weren't!).

As far as I can recall, I haven't had this problem before. I am wondering if the corrugations on the weekend have loosened something.

I have read some of the posts re this issue on this forum.

My van does have a sun roof in the front, so where should I look to locate the drain lines which apparently should be somewhere and what do I need to remove to inspect them to see if they are blocked?

What else, in order of ease to get to, should I investigate to try and locate the source of the leak if it's not the sunroof drain lines? I had a brief look at the window seal outside and it appears to be ok. I'll have another, more thorough look on the weekend.

As an aside, which side of the car would the drain lines for the central and rear moonroofs be located? What would I need to remove to get to these?

Any help would be much appreciated. My partner is starting to give me some grief about buying this van...

Werner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 am

You have several choices of leaks in that area.
1. The windscreen itself. (And if you have been going over corrugations recently it can move the screen / rubbers enough to make them leak)
2 The lower windscreen drain tube on that side has had a hole worn through it by rubbing on a panel whilst going over the corrugations.
3. you left the door or window open.

Of the 3 choices,
I reckon that the first one is the problem and it can be fixed by a windscreen company easily by resealing the screen. (It does not need the screen to be removed to do that).
the second one is a right royal cow to fix as the tubes are hard to replace (and it involves windscreen and grille / headlight removal)
The third one is the easiest to fix.(Shut the damned door / window) Smile

I dont think that the sunroof is leaking, you would have noticed it long before the corrugated roads)

I hope this helps.

Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 5:42 am

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't option 3 Smile

I had the panel, which runs under the steering column, off on the weekend as well as the speaker unit to try and see if I could spot anything obvious.

The only thing I could see was some rusty looking stains which ran along the underside of a silvery coloured "tube" which I assume is a duct of some kind. But where those stains originated from, I couldn't see. I think Fiona had a picture of this duct when she put up a post re this topic.

I didn't see any sign of any drain pipe.

I might have to have another read on how to remove the headlight/grill and then have a look for the drain pipe.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm

Are you sure it is water?
They can leak atf from the back of the speedo when the seal in the trachoid pump on the side of the gearbox fails...as you drive the spinning cable sucks up the fluid (power steering fluid)...on mine it would drip on my left foot...the cure was a new trachoid pump from toyota
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 1:10 am

I am pretty sure it was water as it was colourless & didn't have an oily feel or any odour to it. Also, it happened after it had rained and hasn't happened since as we have had beautiful sunny spring weather.
The steering hasn't been affected either.

We are due for more rain tomorrow, so we'll see what happens. I think I might put an icecream container and a towel near the pedal as a precaution as the carpet is almost dry. Smile
Back to top Go down
Datman
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 23
Home City : NZ
Registration date : 2011-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 3:55 am

also hope that its not brake fluid... there is a brake reservoir up behind the dash on that side, just check the brake flui level to make sure.
Mine had a leak in similar area, but it turned out to be a missing rubber grommet UNDER the carpet. the the front tyre was splashing water up under the carpet!
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 7:40 am

I'd go for sun roof drain. Just needs roding out. Drain points are at the front each side.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 8:27 am

Certainly not brake fluid, Datman. Have to have another look re grommet though.

Clive, where is the best access point for sunroof drain points? I didn't see any sign of them on the weekend when I had the lower panel & speaker out?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 10:16 am

Remove the sunroof, clean out the gutter and you should see the drain holes. Giving a quick wipe may only force more dust/dirt down it. One I did was plugged with dust, I thought I'd cleared it only to find a few weeks later a leak into the footwell. The drains go down each side of the windscreen with several joints, it only needs one of those to bung up and the water finds a new route out.
I used a flexible curtain wire (not sure if you have those down under, basically a long spring coated in plastic). The exit points are rubber drain pipes underneath. May be worth doing the other roof drains if you find that this is the problem?
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks for that, Clive. I'll have a look at it on the weekend.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2012 11:17 pm

Update : I took the van to a windscreen place and we did some tests.

The sun/moon roof drains were checked first, no leaks inside with all water dripping out underneath on the outside where it should be Smile
Interestingly enough, when the middle roof was tested, water came out from both underneath of the middle of the car and the rear, so it appears as though there are 2 drain pipes per side for the middle roof. Not sure if the rear moonroof drains are connected to the same pipe as the centre ones.

Then water was run all over the window and eventually a bit of a leak was detected.

The van is going to go back to have the window taken out and the surrounds inspected for possible sources of the leak. I'm hoping that's it's just a perished rubber seal rather than a major rust issue.

The leaks to date only appear to come when the van is parked.
Back to top Go down
wernerk
Been here a while
Been here a while
wernerk

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Finally found the source of the leak, it's coming from a drain under the windscreen rubber at the base of the window on the driver's side. The drain pipe appears to be missing. The drain hole is to be plugged up and the window rubbers reinstalled.

Window didn't need to come out in the end. Smile

I'm not sure if Fiona ever found out the source of her leak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.   Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Leak suddenly coming from above accelerator pedal area.
Page 1 of 1