Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4wd drive spanner?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

4wd drive spanner? Empty
PostSubject: 4wd drive spanner?   4wd drive spanner? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey guys,

Just picked up a Hi Ace Camper a few weeks back with selectable 4wd. It looks like the wheels need a tool to lock them into 4wd. Is this the case? There's a button on the dash for 4wd but is it as easy as that or do I need to do something else?

It's a 2.8 normal aspirated diesel (Auto) with a low ratio gear box 1993.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
WGWarburton
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 195
Home City : Central Scotland
Model and year : 94 2.8 Noppo HiTop Super-Long
Registration date : 2012-02-07

4wd drive spanner? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd drive spanner?   4wd drive spanner? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 11:23 pm

Hi,
You can turn the hubs by hand or use a screwdriver or similar lever.

The 4WD has a transfer case, no centre diff, so it's slippy stuff only- don't use it on tarmac, unless it's snowy (in Maidenhead? I think not...!).

First engage the locking hubs, as above. Your front wheels are now connected to the front axle but not yet being powered. It'll use more fuel and wear out the front axle like this, which is why you can disconnect them when not needed.

Now you can engage 4WD using the button on the dash (when stationary). You now have drive to front and rear axles.

If you need more torque at the wheels, or better low-speed control you can pull the low-ratio gearlever (again, while stopped) and get, well, lower ratios, obviously! :-)

With this system you always get drive at both front and rear when 4WD is engaged, so you don't get all the power going to just one spinning wheel. A permanent AWD system, as on later models , can be used all the time so it's better for road use but is less effective when it's really muddy, as it will only put a percentage of the power through the centre viscous coupling.that links front & rear. I don't think they have low-ratio, either, as that's a feature of the transfer case setup that isn't built into the viscous-coupling system.

Hope this helps. Corrections welcome from those better informed than I!!

Cheers,
W.
Back to top Go down
toldsimply
Been here a while
Been here a while
toldsimply

Number of posts : 254
Home City : Maidenhead, UK
Model and year : 1993 Toyota Hiace Super GL 2.8 Litre with selectable 4WD
Registration date : 2012-05-09

4wd drive spanner? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd drive spanner?   4wd drive spanner? Icon_minitimeSun May 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Cheers for the info. First time with 4wd ever. Was reading in the manual and it sounds like super bad ass off roading is a no no. Ho hum. Haven't tried it yet as am currently looking for some slippy stuff. Hopefully I'll find a muddy campsite soon! Maybe some impressive snow this winter, but could it ever beat the stuff in the highlands?

Cheers for the support and tech info.

Rich
Back to top Go down
http://www.richleemusic.com
Sponsored content

4wd drive spanner? Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4wd drive spanner?   4wd drive spanner? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

4wd drive spanner?
Page 1 of 1