Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hello from a Newbie

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mcalpic

Number of posts : 8
Home City : Edinburgh
Model and year : Custom Cruising Cabin, pop top, 1996, 3.0 diesel
Registration date : 2011-06-12

Hello from a Newbie Empty
PostSubject: Hello from a Newbie   Hello from a Newbie Icon_minitimeMon Jun 13, 2011 9:10 pm

Hello to All, a short email to introduce myself. I have just bought a 1996 Hiace Custom camper van, 3.0l TD with auto box. Bodywork and mechanicals look and sound mint, however, I would appreciate some maintenance advice? Dealer replaced timing belt at 91K miles (currently 95K miles), but says water pumps on these vans never fail and therefore, don't need replacing. What do you guys advise? Local Toyota dealer is quoting £450 to supply and fit new water pump. All feedback welcome, thanks Kit
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a Newbie   Hello from a Newbie Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 12:14 am

100,000klms between belt changes,3-5000klms between oil changes(wise to do one if oil smells and is black if you dont know the history) and give the water system a good flush out.Not had a water pump on mine yet coming upto having it 8 years in august.Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Scrotes
Not so new now
Not so new now
Scrotes

Number of posts : 24
Home City : Wellington. NZ.
Model and year : 1994 SC 3.0 TD 4WD. -most useful vehicle I've ever owned. Should have bought one years ago!
Registration date : 2010-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a Newbie   Hello from a Newbie Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2011 11:15 am

A good friend of mine owns/runs a garage and he advises that whenever you do a timing belt you do the water pump as well.

This is mainly because while they're doing the belt it's little extra effort to change the pump. So the incremental cost of the pump is good insurance against future faiulre, which makes sense to me. Smile

See youv'e already changed the belt, so yeah bit of a tough call.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from a Newbie   Hello from a Newbie Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hello from a Newbie
Page 1 of 1