Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Snow chains?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm after some advice on snow chains. I plan on doing a camping trip to the Snowies this winter and thought i should find out a thing or two on what snow chains are all about, as i have never driven in the snow and ice before? scratch
First i would like to know what wheels i would fit them to? Mine is full time 4wd, so does this mean i should fit chains to all 4 wheels? Or just the fronts or just the rears? Suspect rendeer
Back to top Go down
Vantastic
Not so new now
Not so new now
Vantastic

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Nelson NZ (ex Phillip Island, Vic, Australia)
Model and year : 97 3.0TD 4WD Super Custom G
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeThu May 13, 2010 10:47 pm

I use Snowsweat Diamonds for 4x4, ( http://www.snowsweat.co.nz/diamond4.html ) they are very good, hard wearing and have plenty of traction. I'm sure similar chains are available back home.

Snowsweat recommend using chains on all driving wheels, this is definately best with a 4WD. However, I just carry two and they go on the back, well that is what I did on our Isuzu 4x4. This means you can lose the front a bit and in really deep or slippery stuff then I guess 4 would be preferable, especially without a central diff locker. One guy said to me that you need them on the back for going up, and on the front for going down, but who can be shagged getting the things on and off and on again etc in one day?

For this ski season, I'm going to put the diamonds on the back and keep an eye out for some cheaper chains (ladder type pattern) for the front, maybe even some secondhand ones. We are staying for a week or so on a mountain later this year and may need to leave them on rendeer .

Advice for driving on ice and snow? Take it easy, keep your speed down and make sure your chains are on properly. Otherwise it's just the same fun as sliding it around on any other greasy surface I guess Twisted Evil . I carry some of those heavy, long rubberised gloves and a small tarp for getting the buggers on and off, otherwise you end up covered in mud and muck. That was a tip from my ski instructor brother-in-law cheers
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Hay cheers for the advice, will end up getting a set for all four wheels, like you said ''no center diff lock'' Mad
Would only be using them in extreme condition anyway i think, constant 4wd without chains should grip all right in a light snow right?
Hay any first hand experiences to be shared out there? Smile
Back to top Go down
Vantastic
Not so new now
Not so new now
Vantastic

Number of posts : 33
Home City : Nelson NZ (ex Phillip Island, Vic, Australia)
Model and year : 97 3.0TD 4WD Super Custom G
Registration date : 2010-04-30

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:56 pm

Awd in light snow will be fine I'm sure. Snow sometimes feels like a cross between driving in mud and sand, if that makes any sense!
Back to top Go down
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now
KIWI DAVE

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeSun May 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Burnsey,

I,ve just come through one of the worst winters we've had in the U.K for 20 odd years. Loads od snow and frozen roads and none of it was a problem for my 4WD Super Custom, did'nt even have any chains. The only thing that held us up was all the non 4WD vehicles stuck in front of us.

Hills were'nt even a problem, just slip into first or second and dont use too much gas, same coming down the hills, lay off the brakes as much as you can and use your engine to do the braking.

Still I think chains would be a good idea and with them fitted I think you could get anywhere!!

Enjoy the snow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy

Ps has your air filter made much difference to the Van, also noticed in one of your posts that you had air bags fitted to your rear suspension but then replaced them with new springs??? Did you have the same problems I have experienced with them not holding the pressure??

Dave
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 1:27 am

Good to know Dave thanks. Hay so your Kiwi living in the UK?

Air filter has made small difference, when i first put in it was more noticeable, more sucking sound from air intake, probably needs cleaning now though after 10,000km and lots of dirt roads.
Yeah i didn't have much joy with the air bags, they kept dislodging the rubber disc that stops the bag from pushing through the bottom of the spring. Maybe it was just i had the wrong size or something? I got bigger stiffer springs in the end and is good for the moment but i did like the control i had over the air helpers. I carry over half tonne in the back 99% of the time and need the extra height when off roading but if i take the weight out its real harsh and bouncy. bounce The ultimate would be a true air bag system controlled by onboard air compressor, get rid of the coil springs all together! cheers
Back to top Go down
KIWI DAVE
Not so new now
Not so new now
KIWI DAVE

Number of posts : 66
Home City : EASTBOURNE
Model and year : SUPER CUSTOM 3.0LT TDI 4WD

Registration date : 2010-01-03

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 9:10 pm

Yep, been here for almost 12 years my wife is a Brit, left home intending to stay away for two years and never went back!!

My problem with the air helpers is they dont seem to hold the air pressure Mad , I've taken hem out and blown them up under water and cant find any leaks?? Rolling Eyes I do like being able too choose the height of the van and jack it up for off road use and then lower it again to 2.1M and still get in under the car park restrictors!!

Seems funny all the other guys in the U.K are trying to lower theirs when what I'm looking for is better clearance, would also have loved a centre diff lock!! But still really impressed just where you can go, picking a route through the worst of the holes and mud.

Try googling michelin easy grip snpw chains, they are a lot smaller to carry and extra quick to put on.
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

Number of posts : 106
Home City : East Corrimal
Model and year : '95 Super Custom Limited AWD 3L TD
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 18, 2010 6:17 am

Just got back from the snow on Friday...
I got pulled over and told I had to put chains on Razz
"She's an all wheel drive mate"
"Sorry Champ,no worries..." cheers

I don't think the 2 wheelers even needed them so not much of a test how she went on her maiden snow run... Heaps less hassle not having to worry about chains though!!!
My mate has a Hilux and has never taken chains down the snow in oz.

Just give her a good tub when you get back because they DO salt the roads down there! Bus
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 4:05 am

Hay so not much snow?
We are still waiting to go, but only when it gets better? Did you sleep in your van?
Back to top Go down
TSN.OOZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
TSN.OOZ

Number of posts : 106
Home City : East Corrimal
Model and year : '95 Super Custom Limited AWD 3L TD
Registration date : 2009-10-11

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 9:51 am

It was really good on thursday morning after the foot of fresh but still no where near enough yet. And the crowds were absolutely ridiculous! Raining even for school holidays...
Went down with 2 mates and stayed on one of the lads block of land just past the station. There's an old leyland bus on it so we stayed in there instead... drunken
I'm sure it would of been warmer in the van though.
I'd still give it another few weeks If you can hold off. Wednesday helped but It's still very average... No
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snow chains? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snow chains?   Snow chains? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snow chains?
Page 1 of 1