Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

rear differentials

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Will
Will

Number of posts : 5
Home City : London
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin
2.8 diesel
manual
LH119
Registration date : 2010-03-24

rear differentials Empty
PostSubject: rear differentials   rear differentials Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 pm

When making very tight turns at very slow speeds like parking and usually on a slight incline my rear differentials would stick slightly and then release causing the the whole back of the van to clunk, vibrate and judder alarmingly. This would only happen after driving for a while and not when the van was cold.

I have since changed the diff oil and the problem seems to have gone away almost completely

I think I might change the oil again in case there's anything still in there that may need flushing out. I didn't see anything when the old oil came out but it had a milky metallic sheen if stirred which the garage said meant there was metal in the oil (presumably from the cogs). The garage and I originally thought there may have been a problem with the spider gears. And there may still be.

Would be interested to know whether anyone else has had similar experiences?
Back to top Go down
bobbond
Not so new now
Not so new now
bobbond

Number of posts : 37
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : 3L, 1991, Auto, Diesel, 2.8
Registration date : 2009-08-25

rear differentials Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear differentials   rear differentials Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:07 am

hey im getn a new one put in next week!

My diff wines big time! 292000kms old
Back to top Go down
dandywarhol
Been here a while
Been here a while
dandywarhol

Number of posts : 163
Home City : Edinburgh, Scotland
Model and year : 1995 LH129V 2.8 Superlong semi hi top campervan 4WD with Mitsubishi turbo
Registration date : 2010-01-26

rear differentials Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear differentials   rear differentials Icon_minitimeSun Mar 28, 2010 10:59 pm

Sounds like you have a limited slip diff - make sure the correct oil was used when refilling it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

rear differentials Empty
PostSubject: Re: rear differentials   rear differentials Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rear differentials
Page 1 of 1