Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Poor headlights

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Nr Birmingham UK
Model and year : 1994 2.8 LWB Super Custom Limited campervan
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 2:03 pm

The headlights on my van have always been poor in performance. I've tried bigger/better/brighter bulbs to no avail as the problem lies with the brightness of the reflector bowls which are dull. I'm thinking it's just a dirty film on them that needs cleaning off but how on earth can I clean them?
My first idea is to use my domestic steam cleaner and adapt a small tube to get into the bowl from the lampholder end but I haven't tried that yet. Has anyone got any suggestions for cleaning them?
My easiest solution would be to replace the headlamps but I can't afford new ones and I'm doubtful I'll find any used ones.
My other idea is to fit some large driving lamps but I can't see a decent way to mount them without a ball bar. So has anyone got a bull bar for sale?
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2010 6:26 pm

Although I've had my headlights out I can't remember if they are clipped and sealed together. If they are you can separate the lens from the silvered part, clean and reseal with high temp silicone sealer.

Failing that soapy water and a soft agitator in the unit and give it a good swirl?
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Number of posts : 450
Home City : AUS
Model and year : 4wd sc
Registration date : 2008-06-04

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 1:56 am

Can you get a bottle brush in there??
I found my lights were'nt too bad, but can never have too much light so i mounted some Hella spotties on a light bar which improved things a quite alot. You dont need a bull bar, just get a light bar that mounts onto your number plate mounts and some slim spotties like the Hella 160's. I have just ordered some HID light kit's to replace the H3 fog lamps and the H4 head lights, so keen to see how that goes. bounce
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 2:09 am

Hay Clive, i like the nudge bar on yours, ive been on the look out for something similar but all the ones here ive seen come up too high for my liking, yours is lower and looks better for mounting big spotties. It looks like a genuine Hiace bar the ones that have Hiace in white letters across the front? I would love to get hold of one. scratch
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:47 am

Came with the bus, not made for my shape has had a bit of welding done to make it fit - may have been for the older shape?
Spot/driving lights are very expensive, the silvering has gone on one, not going to bother about it as I have never used them on the road. I did enquire about bulbs (Google search) and found a supplier in USA, two bulbs per unit and they are US$ 100 each!
Back to top Go down
fasteddie
Not so new now
Not so new now
fasteddie

Number of posts : 60
Home City : Nr Birmingham UK
Model and year : 1994 2.8 LWB Super Custom Limited campervan
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 11:38 am

srburnsy wrote:
Can you get a bottle brush in there??
I found my lights were'nt too bad, but can never have too much light so i mounted some Hella spotties on a light bar which improved things a quite alot. You dont need a bull bar, just get a light bar that mounts onto your number plate mounts and some slim spotties like the Hella 160's. I have just ordered some HID light kit's to replace the H3 fog lamps and the H4 head lights, so keen to see how that goes. bounce

I was unsure about a bottle brush as I don't want to scratch the coating but I might give it a try. Following other suggestions I was thinking of cutting sugar lump sized cubes of foam and using them with washing up liquid shaken around in the lamp as an alternative to the steam cleaner.
Your light bar and Hella 160's sounds like a good idea but I don't know what the light bar looks like or how it fits before sourcing one so is there any chance of a picture of your please?
By the way I just looked up the Hella's and found a set of 4 on ebay that sold for £18!!!!!! Just my luck Sad
Back to top Go down
srburnsy
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
srburnsy

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Have a few photos in the gallery that you can see, let me know if you want close up's. cyclops
Back to top Go down
wazza61

Number of posts : 17
Home City : South West Rocks NSW Australia
Model and year : 1996 KZH100 Super Custom 2WD Auto. !KZ-TE 3.0L Turbo Diesel.
Registration date : 2013-06-03

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm

I cleaned mine with Gumption and a dry rag on the outside. They were all yellowish. Like new now.
Back to top Go down
wazza61

Number of posts : 17
Home City : South West Rocks NSW Australia
Model and year : 1996 KZH100 Super Custom 2WD Auto. !KZ-TE 3.0L Turbo Diesel.
Registration date : 2013-06-03

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeSun Aug 04, 2013 6:55 am

I found this Youtube video on cleaning headlight lenses with toothpaste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZ96BXoT10

It's pretty much the same result as what I got with Gumption.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2013 7:35 am

Toothpaste or any mild non gritty abrasive will work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Poor headlights Empty
PostSubject: Re: Poor headlights   Poor headlights Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Poor headlights
Page 1 of 1