Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

More boost?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

Number of posts : 150
Home City : SYDNEY
Model and year : 99 LIMITED 2000 UPDATE
Registration date : 2008-04-01

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 1:39 pm

Hey All, thinking about fitting a manual boost controler to my 3.0l Hiace. Has anyone done this mod? I'm looking at a turbotech, apparently one of the better ones out there, find info on ebay. Anyone know what the maximum boost a 1KZ-TE can handle. I'm know that diesels like compression/boost, but is there a limit? I realise I should put a turbo back exhaust, and it is on the cards, but for $30au it sounds like cheap horsepower.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Didn't maximus fit a chip last year?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:58 pm

Funnily enough ive just aquired yesterday one of these http://www.eclipseracing.co.uk/product.asp?id=5001 from someone at work for £5.00.Wont be fitting it for a few weeks coz im gonna be busy but if you look right at the bottom guess where its made...Ironic eh?
i already have a bobbox fitted that i get great gains out of that can also be fitted to the 1kzte i think (article on it here https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/grease-monkey-sorry-couldnt-resist-its-a-bf2142-thing-f1/need-more-power-t653.htm ).i will be removing the box prior to fitting the boost tee and upping the boost by about 1-2 psi.then fitting the box again and fiddling,i also have an intercooler to fit but this is probably gonna be one of those long drawn out affairs so i wont be attempting this anytime soon.To answer your question on boost the ecu will kick in and limit fuel to stop detonation of the movey spinny bits but i have read it does this around 12.5 psi(mine was kicking in at 14.5psi).I had a wastegate slowly became stuck(probably before i had aquired it) the effect was boost going up and the performance very nice.after about a year or so of ownership the ecu light came on when i needed power.this itself was a problem as nobody knew how to read the fault codes( https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/members-guides-to-fixing-problems-f8/engine-managment-fault-codes-and-how-to-read-them-t439.htm ).when the problem was finally sorted i noticed that around the inlet manifold area was dirty(probably too much boost).this was cleaned and am happy to say is still clean.lesson here is to fit the boost gauge before any other mods are started Very Happy

Last edited by maximus on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 8:59 pm

cor aussieq ya beat me to the reply lol.sorry if the above is a bit long winded Razz

At the end of the day the cheapest and most noticable gain for power will be to fit the boost controller,after that its a toss up between an intercooler and the chip.if you were to start first then the intercooler would be the first mod as this cools the charge air allowing more fuel to be burnt.the intercooler would probably rob a pound or two of boost this is were the boost controller fits in allowing it to raise the boost back up again.after these two mods the only other way of getting more power is to fit the bobbox or to start adding propane Shocked (something im not an expert on)
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSun Aug 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Thanks guys, so if fuel cut is at 12.5 psi, then what is stock, I guess I need a boost gauge anyway so let the games begin. About to do similar mods to my Skyline but that can be risky, has a ceramic exhaust wheel and plastic compressor wheel, fingers crossed. What a Face
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2009 9:42 pm

The wastegate actuator is factory set at 7psi.In reality it ends up about 8.5psi(on mine),with just the box on adding more fuel it gets upto about 9.5-10psi.I have read that the ct20 turbo has ceramic turbine wheel thats only safe upto 1bar so if yours has one of these then i guess thats it.
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2009 9:52 am

Ct20? Is that the turbo on the super custom?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 8:58 am

It is on mine,not too sure whats on the others.I have seen mine off the vehicle and it has ct20 on the casing of the turbo`s snail.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2009 9:36 am

Here`s a link to aussie dealers of the boost tee http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?id=59

For instructions on how to fit follow this link http://www.turbosmartonline.com/index.php?s=downloads
then scroll down to Boost Controllers - Manual
then click boost tee
the one required(2.4) will be the first one which reads internal wastegate set up
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 05, 2009 10:31 pm

OK vozza how did it go ?
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:09 pm

Well I've installed the boost t on my skyline and the result is great! When talking to my mechanic he said to get an exhaust for the sc before boosting it, I can get a Ganador exhaust imported from japan by Just Jap, but it has no dump pipe. Has anyone in Oz installed an exhaust on a SC? Or know where to source a dump pipe?
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeTue Nov 03, 2009 11:38 pm

Not to sure you need a dump pipe.Got mine custom made.Dont you need the pipe if you are installing a dump valve?If so you shouldnt need one if its an auto as the turbo is always boosting without loosing pressure between gear changes.
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 pm

I didn't mean a blow off valve or external waste gate, dump pipe being the flange straight off the turbo so that the exhaust is larger all the way not just "cat back" or dump back. Liverpool exhaust just quoted me $1000 for custom turbo back 2.5". Gonna write a letter to santa...
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeWed Nov 04, 2009 9:59 pm

Ahh now i see.Hmm santa will expect a little something in the letter to pull that one off i think(about$999 eh?).Missus next port of call i think.
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2009 3:32 am

I'll just punch a few holes in the muffler with a screwdriver and wait till the Missus complains about the noise!
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 4:22 am

Any new develpoments vozza ? Just in the process of fitting a boost gauge myself
Back to top Go down
VOZZA
Been here a while
Been here a while
VOZZA

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 7:28 am

Well I've installed my Autometer Pro Comp boost gauge but its faulty so I have to get it sent back to be sorted out, think it has the guts of a boost/vac model. As for the boost controler,I've figured out where to conect it (totally different from my other car where the gauge and boost t are on the same vac line) but my fat fingers wont fit down there so I might get my mechanic to run the line to the cabin for me and save about 1/2 a litre of blood and skined nuckles. Feel free to call me a softy but I have aspirations of being a hand supermodel.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 11, 2010 8:47 pm

All for saving hands myself. Hard to grip the glass when blood dripping off fingers Smile
I only put in a cheapie gauge that seems to have both vacuum and boost. Haven't tried it yet under load. When you shut down it goes down on the vacuum side but doesn't move with a gentle rev while standing still, hopefully it will work on the road and under load.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Hehe same reason mine is`nt fitted yet(knuckles and blood).Should only boost when driving,mine can go as low as -20(off boost) on vac sometimes,dunno why.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 14, 2010 9:05 pm

Quote :
Should only boost when driving,mine can go as low as -20(off boost) on vac sometimes,dunno why.

Just found that out myself.The gauge drops to about -20 when you shut down. The boost goes up to 12' ish when driving under load. I put the gauge in the front cup holder near the gear lever temporarily (which means it could live there for a while Smile ) and it is a tad hard to see exactly what it gets up to.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm

12 psi isnt too far from where you should be.The wastegate on my turbo gave up a while ago(jammed shut)and created overboost until it hit the ecu limit(13-15psi).This was replaced with a stock toyota item that had 7psi stamped on it(managed 7-8psi on road).With the boost module on it gets to 10psi.Hopefully with the boost valve i will have it set at around 12ish Rolling Eyes just to be on the safe side.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 04, 2010 4:08 am

When we get our new house sorted I might get a DCchip fitted. They sound good on paper Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

More boost? Empty
PostSubject: Re: More boost?   More boost? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More boost?
Page 1 of 1