Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

sourcing an Engine!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
naive dance man

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-07-09

sourcing an Engine! Empty
PostSubject: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 3:52 pm

I've had my beautiful Super Custom for just a month and I stupidly lingered too long on the M40 with the temperature gauge lit up at max and the engine light on and... big cloud of white smoke and a serious smell of oil. Rode back to Brighton in a rescue vehicle.

I've been told its probably terminal so I guess I'm looking for a new engine.
Or head gasket... Unfortunately I have zero mechanical knowledge.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:15 pm

Did it go bang or did you just stop and turn it off?

If the later you may be lucky and just cooked the head. The only way to tell is by removing the head and inspecting for damage.

Did the rescue technician try to start it and did it turn over ok?

Cylinder heads are easy to source BUT beware of cheap heads on ebay these are often Chinese copies made from inferior meterials.

Also be aware that any import engine with low miles could be in the same state as yours is now!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Told you !!

( I mentioned that someone with good knowledge would answer his question)
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
naive dance man

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-07-09

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm

Hi Clive,

thanks for this. It didn't go bang so maybe I'm lucky. A mechanic friend of mine has had a look but he thinks it will be difficult to remove the head. I'll have ask someone else.

My Hiace looks just like yours.

cheers
Back to top Go down
Clive
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
Clive

Number of posts : 1094
Home City : Bristol UK
Model and year : 2003 Range Rover 4.4 goes like a rocket and drinks like Oliver Reed!
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 4:23 pm

I've not done a Hiace have a Townace, it is much the same not difficult, just awkward to get so some of the bolts once a whole load of pipes have been moved out of the way.
I've only a standard socket set and spanners. I had to buy a universal joint for the socket set to get to exhaust nuts. Already had a torque wrench for putting back together.

Click on the link to the on-line engine manual, and let your friend have a read as it details it step by step.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:52 pm

these engines are renowned for head failures particularly the 2.4(i assume you have the diesel version).that said i have had mine a few years now without issues.apparently the 3.0 head will fit.a friend had the headgasket of his previa go on him,although its a different engine i presume costs will be roughly the same.two local garages quoted £500 to fix toyota wanted to put a one infront of that figure!! hopefully you will find a competent mate to do this for half again,good luck.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:57 pm

I think the heads for the 2.4 and 2.8 are the same.
Its just the bottom end thats different, allowing a longer stroke...hence more cc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: sourcing an Engine!   sourcing an Engine! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

sourcing an Engine!
Page 1 of 1