Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

flat battery syndrome

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
scooter
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 134
Home City : manchester uk
Model and year : 89 sc 2.4td
Registration date : 2009-02-18

flat battery syndrome Empty
PostSubject: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:12 am

thought at first it was my little girl leaving things on when she plays in there . but i have checked everything is off its a brand new battery ,,,,the van is not used on the road yet as i have just finished respraying it ... yesterday i took all the stuff i dont use ie curtain power locking ac eyc took the relays out . fired up this morning but i charged the battery yesterday so i will keep checking .. when i used to turn ign onthe fans were on is this normal . we dont need ac in this country so i have pulled the relays hoping the battery wont go flat . this must be a common fault on these vans .?????
Back to top Go down
scooter
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:14 am

trying to check the fuses to find a draw on them is near imposable due to the fuse box location i see there are 2 nuts holding the box in , can you pull the fuse box out any farther to test it ?
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 7:10 pm

Quote :
when i used to turn ign onthe fans were on is this normal
Not normal...(at least my external fan has never done that)...unless its one of the internal 3 fans.
As you know...likely a short somewhere...maybe moisture as its been stood so long?
Good luck finding it...just a matter of time.
I'd wd40 alterator...and any other electrical bits
I usually look on the toyodiy parts catalogue page before dismantling anything unfamiliar.
Often my youngster would not shut the passenger door properly...which would drain the battery........
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 4:10 pm

i to have this problem,only occurs after a few short runs to work.this in turn resets my stereo settings and is a pain.charges at 13.7v so i havent a clue unless its something to do with the quality of charge i.e relays taking the charge off to early.
Back to top Go down
chrisandhiace
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 502
Home City : Preston
Model and year : LH 107 4wd 1992
Registration date : 2008-11-18

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 6:49 pm

Could have the regulator checked maybe.......(apparently) alternators can give trouble if they have not been disconnected when welding has been done.
I've never tested what mine charges at...but always assumed (rightly or wrongly) that it should peak around 14.8v....
Back to top Go down
scooter
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 6:11 pm

i have been told its the baqttery temunals you know the one with the fuses on somone has by passed one of them . going to fix it proper soon
Back to top Go down
scooter
Been here a while
Been here a while

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeThu May 07, 2009 6:13 pm

There is a Fusible Link near the battery, in a suspicious plastic case with two heavy wires leading to it. Most of the vehicle’s electricity (70 amps when everything is on) flows through this fuse. Corrosion develops at the two connection screws and creates two or three ohms of resistance, which in turn creates lots of heat. The heat is enough to melt insulation on wiring, causing a massive short and subsequent alternator failure, not to mention stopping the car. Look very carefully at this fusible link on an unfamiliar Van and keep an eye on it. It’s purpose is to protect the entire wiring system from fires; if you don’t get any response from anything in the entire electric system, check the wire inside the plastic box- it may have blown. A major short someplace is usually the cause.
A second Fusible Link box is located in the engine compartment, at the rear above the engine. It is hard to see from the ‘hood’ but does not have the problems of the main FL. taken off the toyota van site . me thinks this is common
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitimeFri May 08, 2009 1:23 pm

Thanks for the info Smile
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: flat battery syndrome   flat battery syndrome Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

flat battery syndrome
Page 1 of 1