Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Air Conditioning problem Please Help

Go down 
+7
Clive
jh1958
Admin
mr freeze
AussieQ
ruffnut
Dale
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Cloughy

Number of posts : 12
Home City : Brisbane
Registration date : 2014-08-24

Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:15 am

My compressor is blown and has to be replaced. Any suggestions of where to get a second hand one from and what sort of vehicle shares the same type? First quote wants to pull the whole car apart and clean all the pipework. Why don't these systems have a filter... even if you had to regas it would save a bundle.
Back to top Go down
Cloughy

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 4:16 am

Oh an Mr Freeze I'll be in Newcastle next week and could run down to Sydney for a day or two if you want to have a look.
A mobile guy said I could grab one off ebay and do it myself and call him for a regas, sounds more reasonable.
Back to top Go down
Cloughy

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 am

Still chasing what type of compressor I need to replace mine. Regas didn't work so compressor is next. Toyota claim no longer made. Next is to rip it out and try a rebuild or model match up. anyone already done this? Mine's a 94 model.
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 11:21 pm

Is Brendale too far for you Cloughy? My 1991 LH119 is having the compressor replaced at the moment by Natrad is South Pine Rd. I've always had very good service there. The manager said that three different types of compressor have been used in that model but is able to source them all.
Next problem was that the alloy pipes had been connected with steel nuts so broke when being removed necessitating new pipes being made. (by Natrad).
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 4:04 am

As an indication, cost of new compressor $640. Total work, inc new receiver drier, regas, pipe repairs, $1250.
Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

Number of posts : 18
Home City : Lake Forest Park, USA
Model and year : 93 KZH106 Super Custom
Registration date : 2019-11-09

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 12:52 am

I'm having the same issue that started this thread in my 94 SC. (Kzh106). Aircon in back is freezing, in front only blows cold for a moment or two. I'm in Seattle, Wa.

I have a few questions. 1. I assume I should be checking the sight glass when the engine is running? How long should i run before checking it?

Has anyone here stateside (west coast) found a suitable replacement for the valve if I end up needing to replace it?

Lastly, does anyone have any photos of any of this process? I'm pretty sure I found the vac hose, and it is cold, but want to make sure I'm grabbing the right things.

Thanks everyone. This site has been super valuable for me.

Eli
Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 1:28 am

As an additional note, I've attached a pic of what is behind the glove box. When I turn the a/c on and off, I can feel a click in the small black canister that my finger is on. Is this the control switch I am trying to get at?Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 15991710Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 15991710
Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 6:15 pm

As far as I can discern, I think this is part number 88630-14030. Relay assy cooler. (?) Which has been difficult to find here so far. To further complicate matters, it has a number on it that doesn't show up in any part searches. I've attached another pic. In case anyone is following this struggle for cool air!Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 20200911
Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 8:19 pm

ok next step is that inside that sleeve, there is a switch with the part number 90987-02004 (it also goes by the part number on it, but if you use that, it is harder to find unless you get it right from Denso, which is an option).  It is easily buyable at your local toyota dealership as it was used in many cars. should cost about $12.  It'll be here tmrw, and I'll see if it's the right part.  It looks like this. Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 20200912
Back to top Go down
djathens
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced
djathens

Number of posts : 379
Home City : Portland, Oregon, USA
Model and year : 1991 Super Custom Limited 4WD LH107W 3L
Registration date : 2018-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 11:36 pm

@thisissimple - Keep me posted on how it goes. My AC blows cool up front and very cold in the rear, wondering if I have the same issue. I'd love for it work at 100%, it struggles to keep the van cool when the outside temps are high 80s or above. Doesn't help that there's a huge heat source right below the seats!  Razz

I'm thinking my issue is either related to the magnetic valve for the front AC, the expansion valve for the front cooler unit, or the thermistor for the front cooler.

Been doing some reading about the thermistor and came across this from autoblog.com:

An AC thermistor is a type of temperature sensor that is commonly found on modern AC systems. They detect temperatures and send a resistance signal to the AC control module so that the automatic adjustments can be made to keep the cabin at the correct temperature. As they are basically ambient temperature sensors, they can be found both inside the cabin and underneath the hood of a vehicle.

AC thermistors read and interpret data on temperature that is critical to the proper operation of a computer controlled AC system, such as those found on most modern vehicles. When the thermistors fail or begin to have problems, they can negatively affect the performance of the entire system and should be inspected. Usually, when an AC thermistor has failed, they will produce a few symptoms that can alert the driver that there is a problem.

One of the first signs that an AC thermistor may be having a problem is that the AC will only blow cold air for a limited amount of time. If an AC thermistor is not operating properly, it cannot alert the computer of the cabin temperature. Therefore, the module will not be able to activate or deactivate the AC so that the correct temperature can be achieved. This may cause the AC to blow cold air in short bursts, or only for a limited amount of time."

thisissimple likes this post

Back to top Go down
thisissimple
thisissimple

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Ok, that relay does function, and is the right one, however, it did not fix the a/c problem. So that saga continues, probably when it gets hot here again!

Thanks djathens, this gives me another thing to look at.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air Conditioning problem Please Help   Air Conditioning problem Please Help - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air Conditioning problem Please Help
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2