Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

adjusting the kick-down cable

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-04-22

adjusting the kick-down cable Empty
PostSubject: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 2:48 pm

I thought I would start a new topic as JohnHRef999, who obviously knows masses (sorry John, not as easy as I thought in my email to you) has suggested tightening or loosening the kick-down cable to improve automatic gear change response, as my car is sluggish up hills and using masses of diesel. For starters the ferule is inside the orange sheath when the throttle is fully engaged and this is why I could not see it!!! I gather it should be 1mm clear of it. To loosen the nuts, how the ...... do you get a spanner in there! I gather I should try to turn the nut on the left side, so to get the ferule out of the sheath what do I do? There is masses of stuff about kick-down cable and adjustments on Ace Answers, just wanted to speak specifically to super customs.
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 8:25 pm

You need to jamb the throttle wide open - put a housebrick on the gas pedal!
Then undo the 14mm nut on the rear of the kick-down adjuster,if you rotate the front nut slightly anti-clockwise and tighten the rear nut the same amount, do this a couple of times the ferule on the cable will appear eventually. What you are doing is moving the cable sheath away from the cable i.e making the kick- down tighten, taking up the slack. Use an open ended 14mm spanner, sure it is tight so you may only turn a flat at a time. Eventully the ferrule will appear MAGIC!!
Back to top Go down
barra
Not so new now
Not so new now
barra

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-04-22

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitimeThu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Ok, I'll have a go saturday, hope I can't do any serious damage!
Back to top Go down
JohnHRef999
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 150
Home City : Lincoln England
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Campervan 4WD 2779cc Diesel Auto Transmission. Sold now
2001 Granvia Camper 3.4ltr V6 Auto
Registration date : 2007-07-17

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitimeFri Oct 17, 2008 2:26 pm

You won't as long as the engine is not running when you do it!!

Watch your knuckles those 14mm open ended spanners can be lethal!

Good luck, its not Rocket Science. Takes about 15 mins 5mins to open the engine compartment and place the house brick on the pedal, 5 mins to adjust the cable & 5 mins to tidy up!
The ONLY damage you can do is if you overtighten the cable, so when you put your foot down hard, the accelerator does not hit the injection pump Max Speed stop and the cable gets stretched/broken. It won't happen if you take your time.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitimeSat Oct 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Good advice there John
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: adjusting the kick-down cable   adjusting the kick-down cable Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

adjusting the kick-down cable
Page 1 of 1