Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

How does a tow bar fit to super custom?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

Number of posts : 62
Home City : Melksham
Model and year : 1993 Hiace Super Custom Limited 2.8D (LH107)
Registration date : 2007-02-17

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Empty
PostSubject: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Help - I have just bought a towbar for my 1993 super custom limeted and i only appear to have the mounting holes to fit it.
It is supposed to fit to a pair of diagonal threadded holes on the out side of each chassis leg right at the back and then to a smaller threadded hole underneath further back.
i have all of these holes on the right - (the 2 on the outside are the ones used for the towing eye and the smaller one is unused) but on the left all i have is bare untouched chassis with no holes in and a small plate with a large oval hole in it welded on underneath the chassis - i think the smaller hole is on the underside of the chassis hidden a bit by the fuel filler shroud but it does not look to be threadded.

Could any one who has a tow bar fitted let me know how please?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 1128
Home City : Bristol
Registration date : 2007-01-15

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 2:26 pm

I had to remove the tank filler pipe guard adn think it used one of those holes.

which make did you get ?
Back to top Go down
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 5:29 pm

It came from A1 tow bars - i think your right about the filler pipe guard - theres a longer bolt for it in the kit - but i appear to be missing the holes that should be in the side of the chassis further back than the guard - have you got those or is there another way of fitting a tow bar?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 7:34 pm

Ive taken some pics if it helps..

1-3 are fixings on the tank filler side. 4-6 are drivers side.
How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar110

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar210

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar310

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar410

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar510

How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Tbar610

My bar had 2 plates that were fitted to the floor and then the rest was bolted onto the 2 plates.
One of the holes in the plate was not quite inline and a supplied bolt wasnt long enough.
Mine was from Watlings
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Excellent - thats the mounting points i've got and my bars nothing like that!
Cheers for that i was beginning to think i had a van that wouldnt take a tow bar -i'll have to send that bar back then.
Back to top Go down
AussieQ
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
AussieQ

Number of posts : 884
Home City : Hervey Bay Qld
Model and year : 1994 sc
Registration date : 2008-08-15

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 15, 2008 9:14 pm

Top pics, was thinking about this myself.
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Had a word with the tow bar manufacturer today and the tow bar i have is definately the wrong one and as far as he knows Watlings are the only manufacturer that do one for this precise van.
Apparently most of the super customs fit the same tow bar as the uk model but a few are odd and have an alternative fitting like ours.
I will have a good hunt around to see if i can find any one else who makes them thouugh as the waltings tow bar costs £174 instead of £79 for the one i just bought! bit of a difference!
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 6:57 pm

Finally got the right tow bar - for any one interested its a PTY90 kit from watlings (to fit the LH107 body).
strangelly watlings wanted £230 for the full doubble electrics and every thing else package but i managed to get it for £206 through www.towequipe.co.uk.
I have fitted the bar but not the electrics yet.
Any pics to give me an idea of where to bring the wires in to the cab would be much appriciated? and possibly any tips on the best place to find all the wires i need to connect to in one place would be much appriciated too.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 9:09 pm

I will get some pics of mine if it helps but not until tomorrow..
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 8:26 am

Excellent that would be very appriciated thanks - no rush,( i won't be able to do any thing to it untill the weekend)
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 1:40 pm

It turned out to be quite easy - (i thought i was going to have to remove the rear seats to get the side panels off to get to the wiring for the rear lights) turns out the wiring's not behind the side panels but comes down from the roof in to 2 pockets behind the lights that are big enough to get your hand in (once you have removed the light).
I did have to loosen the rear of the side panel just enough to pass the cable through from the boot floor in to the pocket behind the light and run a few wires side to side (there was already a handy hole drilled in each side that you can just get a drill to to enlarge)
Thanks for the help - i'm off for some towing lessons now!
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Moogdrew

Please can you tell me how your tow bar end plate attached to the chasis on the side opposite to where the towing eye was removed? I have no predrilled holes and from your description neither did your SC.

Tx
Back to top Go down
moogdrew
Not so new now
Not so new now
moogdrew

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 1:20 pm

Hi Simon,

I sent the first tow bar back as it turned out to be the wrong one for the LH107 body - the one you need will look like the one in the pic's provided by admin above (PTY90 kit from watlings was the one i got)- it fits in a totally different way on the tank filler side using the ring hanging down from the chassis and a few other holes in the chassis that just need the boot floor drilled to get the bolt through as far as i can remember.

If you read your way down the thread above you'll find a few tips about where to find the electrics too.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
simongd
Been here a while
Been here a while
simongd

Number of posts : 176
Home City : Liverpool
Model and year : Looking for my next
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 01, 2011 9:17 am

Thanks moogdrew

I'll let everyone know how I get on later.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How does a tow bar fit to super custom?   How does a tow bar fit to super custom? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How does a tow bar fit to super custom?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: