Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

Number of posts : 472
Home City : Cheshire
Model and year : 93 2.4 turbo supercustom limited
Registration date : 2007-06-09

ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Empty
PostSubject: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2008 10:42 pm

http://www.pureenergysystems.com/news/2005/03/17/6900069_Acetone/ has anyone heard of anybody trying this?if so how did it go?i use this stuff at work in the lab and can only vouch for its excellent properties for killing rubber,plastics.in this small concentration i wouldnt think it would do much harm but it could be the culmunative effect it has over time or maybe it has a more destructive effect on rubber seals when under pressure(inside the diesel pump).....any theories Question
Back to top Go down
pushrod
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 140
Home City : S Bucks
Model and year : 1990 2.4 TD 2wd Ltd
Registration date : 2008-01-03

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 11:40 am

It's certainly good as a paint stripper...... Shocked
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 12, 2008 11:45 am

had to go from rubber fittings to neoprene fittings to stop it,slow its degeneration(in the lab)

Last edited by maximus on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 7:10 pm

I use 0.1% acetone in my vege-oil blend. No damage yet about one year in.

The graph on the link suggests 2oz/10gallons. Assuming these are American units that’s about 0.16%. UK units would be 0.13%.

Have I noticed a difference in performance? Yes, the engine starts easier.
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 10:11 pm

I've been trying to find acetone for sale in hardware shops and can't find it anywhere. One guy told me it's banned from sale! and others don't know what I'm taking about. It's available mail order but more expensive due to to P&p.Nail varnish remover seems to have some kind of additive so I don't want to use it. Any ideas?
Al
Back to top Go down
zoochy
Been here a while
Been here a while
zoochy

Number of posts : 148
Home City : Tropical Canada
Model and year : LH107G 1991
Registration date : 2007-01-21

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 am

Places that sell paint or fibreglass supplies. Although, you live on the other side of the world so things may differ.

We (Bombardier) just announced that you are going to build the wings for a new line of fuel-efficient airplanes… Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
maximus
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
maximus

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 7:54 am

well,its in the tank now no going back will post any findings here.as for getting your hands on the stuff you could try automotive paint suppliers,they use allsorts of solvents in their trade.maybe the "power gains and better m.p.g" are just side effects of handling the acetone when fuelling up Very Happy ,its nasty stuff,maybe someone should have told these about wearing protective gear before handling it, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXjKYuD_AlY ,cool vid though i didnt think it was possible to get that much styrofoam into it affraid .just run my tank down to the first bar so i could add the stuff on fuelling up,was a bit surprised when the pump stopped as i had hit the £70 limit affraid ,good job it was nearly full.hope this stuff bloody works Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
alfazar
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 99
Home City : N.Ireland
Model and year : 3.0TD 4WD camper 1995
Registration date : 2008-03-11

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2008 10:21 am

Yes Zoochy, what a coincedence. I'm going on a trip to Farnborough air show tomorrow as a VIP guest of Bombardier! I've no connection with them but I won the place in a competition, building model planes with kids at the school where I work. Can't wait.
Al
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?   ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ACETONE......ANYONE BRAVE ENOUGH?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Mechanical Matters :: GREASE MONKEY !!! (sorry couldnt resist its a BF2142 thing)-
Jump to: