Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Do these van's have electric block heaters?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
travbus

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Revelstoke
Registration date : 2024-01-11

Do these van's have electric block heaters? Empty
PostSubject: Do these van's have electric block heaters?   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 20, 2024 9:03 am

Do these van's have electric block heaters? I did a word search on manual and nothing. Maybe they call it something else or don't have one.
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Do these van's have electric block heaters?   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 5:57 pm

Hello ‘travbus’ and welcome to the forum.

Searching on here is not very good. It’s often much better to search with a typical search engine but put the forum name in the search as well. I think the forum site is catalogued by google. Anyway good luck!

I remember reading something on here and found this thread that might be what you’re after, albeit for the 3L engine. Unsure what engine you have and whether this might also be compatible but it’s a start. See: https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t3084-frost-plug-size-for-a-1991-diesel-3l-engine#26270

There are some pictures accessible there, too. Not all photo-hosting sites resolve pictures directly, sometimes you need to follow the link as on that thread.

As you’re asking about block heaters you must be fairly savvy. If you need some broad and general details, you might like to see the longish first post in my show us yours section. Happy if it’s useful for you.

Good luck!!
Back to top Go down
travbus

PostSubject: Thanks for the tips   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 10:07 pm

I just bought this van it's going in for its out of province inspection this week. If I can't figure it out I'll ask the jdm mechanic about it and post my results. I have a diesel coolant heater I will install if I don't have one. I don't see any posts about that here. I will make one after I install.

Cheers

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Do these van's have electric block heaters?   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 22, 2024 10:32 pm

Great. There’s a mention of a diesel coolant heater in that linked post but no details. I’m more familiar with those fitted to boats for domestic hot water coupled with a distributed ambient heating system.

These might also be linked to the engine coolant, but it’s more to provide spare heat to the boat rather than pre-heat the engine.

Plenty of vans also have diesel warm air heater in addition to the Hiace having a rear cabin heater matrix, but again this is for amenity rather than to pre-warm the engine.

Engine pre-warming is seemingly more of an Arctic thing and I’m guessing that if you’re taking about Province, you’re in Canada maybe? I bet there's loads of local knowledge to help.

All this heating takes up space and if you’re planning to need engine pre-heating on a tight energy budget I bet it’ll make sense to have a diesel ‘hydronic’ kit.

Cheers!!

Last edited by LH119V on Mon Jan 22, 2024 10:35 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling!)
Back to top Go down
travbus

PostSubject: Re: Do these van's have electric block heaters?   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 23, 2024 3:15 am

I ripped out my rear seats today and found that rear heater. I'll be moving it over to the side. You just have to tee in the coolant heater to those lines. Mount the heater off to the side. Should be super easy. Then you can run a temperature control in the cab to turn off and on the rear heater fan when the coolant heater is powered on.

Yeah in Canada we get in the minuses quite often. Diesels don't like the cold starts thats for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do these van's have electric block heaters?   Do these van's have electric block heaters? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do these van's have electric block heaters?
Page 1 of 1