Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Overheating

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mel

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-07-05

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 8:53 am

Hi there

Ongoing overheating problems 2000 model 4WD van..two mechanics have worked on it so far

KZH106 turbo diesel intercooled

Have done all this -
Main radiator replaced with new aftermarket
Pressure tested numerous times, passes every time
New thermostat fitted
New radiator cap

Drives fine for 100-200k then rapidly overheats, coolant bubbling. Let it cool down. Add about 1ltr water. Repeat.

Any ideas? New waterpump? Headgasket??

Thank you
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSun Oct 29, 2023 2:02 pm

Hello Mel.

Doesn’t sound good.

It seems you are trying to tell whether you have an overheating problem or a headgasket problem (or both, ouch).

When doing the work to date was the system flushed out? What was the state of the coolant? As I’m sure you know the Hiace has a fairly complicated and compromised system that has to be kept in tip top condition. It might be worth taking a look at my fairly long post on cooling in my Show Us Yours section. It’s below the bit on the rear drums.

While you’ve done a lot of work this will be compromised if the system wasn’t flushed really, really well and the coolant isn’t in tip top condition. Junk in the system can re-block a new component such as a radiator / front or rear heater matrix which will cause problems. It’s also difficult to properly flush the engine block.

A couple of things spring to mind.

The 1KZ engines have a lower temp thermostat, 71C rather than 88C. Was the right one fitted? Is it still fine? They generally do work well and last a long time.

It’s possible to fit a radiator cap with a higher pressure rating. This wouldn’t be my first option as it could cause a leak elsewhere. Is the system leaking past the radiator cap and not getting up to pressure so boiling off before it should? A clean of the crustiness might help it seal properly if that’s the case.

How is the fan clutch? These are meant to be able to spin easily at low temp but lock up at the higher end of the operating range to drive more air. When they fail they tend to lock at lower temp and slip at operating temp. There are loads of YT vids on these, including re-oiling, but they aren’t massively expensive. It’s also possible to fit a fan with different temperature profile, but I don’t have all the numbers. You’d likely need to speak to AISIN. A fan with an earlier lock up will also rob a bit more power.

There’s also a 10 bladed fan rather than the original one with 7 blades. It’s an OE Toyota part, which was fitted to several cars and vans. It’ll pull more air but that’s not necessarily a proper fix.

Is the replacement radiator up to task? How is the temp gauge? Any air locks?

Water pump could be the problem, but you’ll only know by getting in there. You can diagnose their pumping by disconnecting the belt and seeing if you can push water around, but I doubt that will be definitive. The pump isn’t a massively expensive part to replace but needs quite a bit of teardown and best done as part of a timing best swap. It could be gummed up but this is getting into the problem of engine flushing. The expansion tank might also give you an indication to the condition of the system.

I think one of the best tests for headgasket failure is to test for combustion gasses in the coolant. This is a fairly simple test, but it might not be completely definitive for a failure if the gasses are not going into the coolant. If you have combustion gasses in the coolant then it’s a probable for a headgasket.

Final points to think about are to consider whether you’re blocking air flow with bars, lights etc. Is the radiator full of grass?

How’s the intercooler. I don’t have one of these on my van and know nothing about them in this application.

What was the train of event to lead to this?

Sorry to not be more helpful. I’d be temped to flush the system really well (see my post), fill with new coolant and test that for combustion gasses in the coolant. If present then it’s almost certainly a headgasket. If none present then the other areas of the cooling (fan, thermostat, pump) might be the issue?

HTH!!

Mel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Mel

Number of posts : 16
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-07-05

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeMon Oct 30, 2023 10:20 am

Hi LH119V,
Thanks for your detailed responce. Had 2 mechanics look at it. One was useless, the other suspects but cant clearly diagnose head gasket. Its a lot of money to spend without being 100% sure. Im guessing thats going to cost 4 grand or so 🤷‍�.
Regards
Mel

Blowing white smoke, but only on start up occassionally. Not looking good hey 😒
Ordered a UVIEW CPS Combustion Leak Tester Kit 560000.

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 12:32 pm

Often overheating is caused by the fan boss slipping too much.
These vans need the fan to run, not like a car where the engine + rad is at the front.

There's a few tips on youtube about adding silicone oil to the boss. It's a pretty fierce fan so when it's warm you should definitely hear and feel it pumping the air: if not, or as a precaution, check the viscous boss.

Incidentally don't be tempted to replace it with electric - that fan needs a lot of power, it's best as designed Very Happy

Mel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitimeSun Nov 05, 2023 7:07 pm

Pretty well guaranteed it’s either cracked head or blown head gasket. The white smoke on startup makes it a no-brainer.

Not sure what your mechanics have done in testing but a simple hydrocarbon test on the coolant should have been the first step in diagnosis. Btw standard pressure testing often doesn’t show anything on the 1KZ with head/gasket probs.

Mel likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Overheating Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheating   Overheating Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overheating
Page 1 of 1