Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Key copies

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
aprslo
aprslo

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Belvedere, CA
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom
Registration date : 2023-08-25

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2023 8:02 pm

Hi all, just bought my first Hiace last week.  1994 Super Custom KZH106.  It only came with one key and I would like to get a couple more.  I have Googled and don't see any obvious solutions.  Do you all know what other US imported cars shared the same keys?  Can I buy blanks of those and have a hardware store make copies off of the one key I have now?  Or do I need a dealer to order me one?

Thank you,
Alex
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 279
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2023 8:53 pm

I'm in the UK - but I just went to a key-cutters and they had generic blanks that would work. The only thing was that these did not have the central door locking button - but these were only spares - and we installed a secondary alarm/immobilizer, where the arming fobs would superseded this anyway.

If you're has the factory remote central locking, I guess you may have to go to a dealer.

aprslo likes this post

Back to top Go down
aprslo
aprslo

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 4:09 am

Thank you g00se! I am not sure my 1994 has central locking. If it does, I don’t have that kind of key. Mine has the plastic head with a Toyota logo but no buttons. I just want some spares to get in and drive it. Is yours 1994 with a factory electronic locking button before you installed the alarm? Maybe it’s a Limited model?
Back to top Go down
aprslo
aprslo

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 4:11 am

Thank you g00se! I am not sure my 1994 has central locking. If it does, I don’t have that kind of key. Mine has the plastic head with a Toyota logo but no buttons. I just want some spares to get in and drive it.
Back to top Go down
aprslo
aprslo

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 4:12 am

Thank you g00se! I am not sure my 1994 has central locking. If it does, I don’t have that kind of key. Mine has the plastic head with a Toyota logo but no buttons. I just want some spares to get in and drive it.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 8:37 am

No - mine's a 2001. it came with two keys. A plastic headed one with the logo - but a tiny rubber button and small screw head to get to the battery. And a old school plain metal one. I just took one to the local heel bar and they made copies on standard blanks. I would have thought that it yours doesn't have the central locking, then getting copies made would be straight-forward.

aprslo likes this post

Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 11:13 am

Mines a 1991 LH119V. It came with just a metal key, which will open all the doors. If you use it on the driver's door, that unlocks all the other doors - that's central locking but not REMOTE central locking which would mean a button.

The blanks to cut additional keys were easily obtainable at key cutting shops and I would expect that to be the same where you are.

LH119V and aprslo like this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 4:07 pm

Hello 'aprlso' and welcome to the forum.

My ‘92/93 CC (sim to Andonic) came with two simple keys; mostly metal with a plastic part at the top, to presumably make them nicer to hold. I have key-operated central locking and the keys don’t have any chips for an immobiliser.

As others have said there’s nothing special about these keys and regular key-cutting places generally have blanks and can copy your key(s), if yours are the same.

If your keys are in a poor state then Toyota might have the code to get an original key cut to match your locks but this will be more expensive than copying a key.

If you want branded key blanks then Hiaceshoutheast sells these but eBay probably also does. I bought some eBay blanks for some VW keys as my local key cutter didn’t stock these but I got him to do the cutting. They were great keys for going into the sea with when you don’t want to get fancy keys wet.

If your locks are in a poor state you can get a complete set of I think 9 or 11 locks for the complete vehicle for ~$200 inc 2 keys, from Japan. My local Toyota dealer quoted me ~£100 for a replacement ignition barrel and keys. Sometimes it’s useful to have the ignition on a different key to the doors and the ignition barrel is a fairly high-wear item, especially after 30y.

If you’re generally searching for various online resources have a look at the longish post at the top of my show us your page. Happy if it’s useful for you.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 4:29 pm

LH119V wrote:
mostly metal with a plastic part at the top

Your van's like mine and you got a plastic part ! I've been robbed !

But seriously isn't it nice to have a normal key that doesn't cost hundreds to replace by a dealer... You can fit a whole alarm system that does all the doors for the price of a key for a new car ( that's what I did ).

Andonic likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 5:04 pm

NickZ wrote:
LH119V wrote:
mostly metal with a plastic part at the top
You can fit a whole alarm system that does all the doors for the price of a key for a new car ( that's what I did ).

Be good to know what alarm system you fitted, please? Esp if it incorporates an immob. I have some low-tech plans for the latter. Alarms from the 1990s were generally terrible but I'd expect anything more modern will be a lot better.

I also meant to ask on the electrics thread what solar panel(s) you fitted? Options seem to be quite limitless and there are good and bad points for solid and flex in perms of performance, fit and looks. Will post a reply there to keep things in some order.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 6:56 pm

Autowatch it has an immobiliser, central locking and some funky sensors, it does all sorts of things and it's really loud ! I think because these vans are old we get cheaper alarms because they don't depend on the cars computer.

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 7:27 pm

For info, I had to get a Thatcham Category 1 alarm and immobiliser for my insurance. Because of this, I need to get it 'officially' installed which puts it about £500, but I think you can do a DIY install for less than half that. I have a Sigma S30 but there are a few around that price and they all do the same things.
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 9:37 pm

I think my van was known by the insurance people ( Adrian Flux ) as that was who the previous owner insured it with and was down as already having one before all the Thatcham category stuff arrived.

But the alarm was rubbish it had no sensors and had been wired just below the ignition so anybody hot wiring it wouldn't even have noticed it had an alarm !

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeFri Sep 01, 2023 10:37 pm

If anyone is thinking of installing a thatcham alarm/immobiliser, it's not a trivial job - but certainly doable if you're OK with electrics. eg, all the wires are the same colour - so not to help identify what to cut if trying to bypass it.
Back to top Go down
Andonic
Been here a while
Been here a while
Andonic

Number of posts : 169
Home City : London
Model and year : Cruising Cabin 1991 pop top selectable 4WD 2.8 Diesel
Registration date : 2018-01-25

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitimeMon Sep 04, 2023 12:37 pm

NickZ wrote:
!

But seriously isn't it nice to have a normal key that doesn't cost hundreds to replace by a dealer... You can fit a whole alarm system that does all the doors for the price of a key for a new car ( that's what I did ).

I agree, Nick Z! One thing I love about my van is so much less electronic stuff to go wrong - manual hand brake, manual window winders.

NickZ likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Key copies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Key copies   Key copies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Key copies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: