Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
athomski

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-07-03

Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Empty
PostSubject: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 3:54 pm

Hi guys,

Need to replace the steering rack bushes on my 93 HiAce SC 4wd.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what I will need to order to do the job.

Have checked the usual places JP car parts and Toyo DIY but can seem to make sense of the diagram.

Attaching my model on jp car parts here for reference:
https://jp-carparts.com/toyota/figlist.php?maker=toyota&type=711140&cartype=143

Also attaching some photos of the buggered bushes so it makes sense.

Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Img_2012
Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Img_2013

Thanks heaps to anyone willing to help.
Back to top Go down
athomski

Number of posts : 2
Home City : Melbourne
Registration date : 2023-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2023 6:45 am

bump
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2023 4:31 pm

Hello ‘athomski’ and welcome to the forum.

In addition to JP Cars and Toyo DIY I tend to use the EPC and Amayama. I wrote a fairly long post on my show us yours page on parts searching with more links there, but I didn’t actually mention Toyo DIY so I need to update it. Anyway if that post is any use then it’s a bonus.

The landing page for Hiaces on the EPC is this: https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/ .

Anyhow all these sites seem to use the same pictures and probably the same or very similar parts catalogues. On the EPC it seems you can get replacement grommets that go around the barrel of the steering rack, but I didn’t see and couldn’t find the grommets for the two parallel bolts in your picture. The bolts are 90119-12277 but I wonder if the grommets are integral to the steering rack and aren’t meant to be changed?

If this is the case then you might be able to find and modify a generic grommet such as is used for leaf springs. It looks like the bolts have good flange heads so a core of a leaf spring bush with a steel core / tube (maybe recovered from what you have) might suffice.

Also, ask your local Toyota dealership if they have this part or a good Toyota garage? I’m sure they will know.

The last option might be that these grommets are elsewhere in the EPC. I doubt it as the bolts are included but plenty of sub-assemblies are across various part pages.

Do report back with what you find. It’ll help other.

HTH!!
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeFri Aug 25, 2023 5:00 pm

I've been looking at steering bits on the pictures to try and find a part ( no luck yet it's discontinued ) and I think LH119V is right and the bushes are part of the steering rack because the bolts are on the picture. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that to keep these van's going you have to find bits that fit and will work rather than the genuine part.

I just ordered a universal brake/ tail light bulb holder because the one I want is part of a loom so it might soon be time to get the epoxy out and start making one out of two to get it to fit !
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeTue Sep 05, 2023 10:39 pm

Hi can't quite tell. Is this something distinct from anti-roll bushes. I replaced those with Toyota parts a while back
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 12:08 am

For sure those are press fit bushes that come as part of the whole assembly. Depending on whether, or how much, they’re flanged on both sides you could possibly turn replacement ones from urethane if you have access to a lathe.

Yes, rubber parts like these is why I now steer away people who ask about these vans. They require dedication to the cause.  Toyota made and used great quality parts but 20 -30 years is when everything is finally failing.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitimeWed Sep 06, 2023 12:12 am

If you have a local pick-your-own car wrecker it would def be worth checking out some other Toyota steering racks to see if you can extract and match the bushes for size. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re a common component.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd   Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering Rack Bushes 93 Hiace 4wd
Page 1 of 1