Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Possible ECU capacitors?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Daltonamorph

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Dallas
Registration date : 2023-08-21

Possible ECU capacitors? Empty
PostSubject: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 3:13 am

I am working on a 96 Hiace with the 1KZ. The main complaint is that when you put it into drive, it seems to start in 3rd gear. You can shift it into L and it starts in 1st and then can be shifted back into D once going. OD does not work. After driving for a bit the OD Off light begins to flash, but no codes are stored.

Transmission Solenoids were just replaced and all wiring and fuses are good. Does anyone have any ideas? I am think possibly a faulty ECU at this point.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 11:10 am

Just a thought - but the ECU is quite dumb and it works on sensor readings. Dodgy sensors can make it behave oddly (though starting in third is very odd). Does the engine behave strangely in any way and does it behave any differently when cold or warmed up?
Back to top Go down
Daltonamorph

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 5:57 pm

It runs well cold and warm. No CEL is on. I pulled the ECU last night and it looks like the capacitors were recently replaced as well. Speedo and temp gauge both work. I am trying to find a wiring diagram for the transmission so I can try to manually actuate the solenoids and verify they are clicking, but am having a hell of a time finding anything.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 7:28 pm

Which model transmission is it? The code should be on the chassis plate - visible when you lift the engine cover.

You can find the wiring diagrams here: https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/hiace-manuals but I'm not sure they help with the transmission. The transmission code may help track something down.
Back to top Go down
Daltonamorph

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 8:38 pm

30-40le. It finally threw a 62 code for solenoid 1 fault. Solenoid is brand new. I dropped the pan and checked the wiring- all good. Not sure where to go from here.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 9:18 pm

This sounds identical from a few years back:

https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/transmission-code-62-you-think-is-ecu-or-solenoid.1095137/

Also, I have some diagnostic details for hiaces that others have posted. I've found the troubleshooting guide for error 62 and I'll message it to you.

Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 10:00 pm

HI,

I've messaged you with a link, I hope it helps. But for anyone else with this issue in the future, the diagnostic details are in the Hiace South East manuals: https://www.hiacesoutheast.com/hiace-manuals - though it's a trawl to find:

Repair Manual | 17: Diagnostics | 1, Automatic Transmission A45DE

Note, transmissions with an E suffix have ECU electronically controlled solenoids - which tend to be the diesels. Those like A42DL are hydraulic only - where only the OD solenoid has a signal coming from the front - so there's no diagnostics for those.

Last edited by g00se on Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 21, 2023 10:17 pm

Also - they have instructions that are referenced in the trouble-shooting of codes 62 and 63 for checking the ECU and harness:

Repair Manual | 17: Diagnostics | 1, Automatic Transmission A45DE

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1oP4doXwOVqvy4_uL97QUbZWtKb1xQkx-

Repair Manual | 1: Introduction | 7: How To Troubleshoot ECU Controlled Systems | 5 & 6 Inspection Procedures
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 31, 2023 8:55 pm

Note that there is an engine ECU (In the pillar on the 1kz) and a transmission ECU that sits under the centre console.
I did have a look in my transmission ECU but it seemed pretty simple with no obvious caps - but worth a look, even just to dust around it and check the connector.
Back to top Go down
Daltonamorph

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 02, 2023 4:03 am

This one did not have a transmission ECU. I ended up replacing the ECU in the B pillar and it fixed the issues I was having.

GPW likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible ECU capacitors?   Possible ECU capacitors? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible ECU capacitors?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Electrical :: Sparky Lives Ere-
Jump to: