Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Dogs

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Eden NSW AUSTRALIA
Registration date : 2023-07-03

What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Empty
PostSubject: What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles   What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2023 4:31 am

What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Img_1817

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles   What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Icon_minitimeSun Jul 23, 2023 11:35 pm

Hello ‘Dogs’ and welcome to the forum. Oh very cool, you’ve got those. I’m not 100% but I think those are dampers to iron out certain vibration frequencies in the rear springs.

I saw something similar when looking at a Hiace on the Cars and Bids website that’s run by Doug Demuro. He has a big YouTube following and started (there) reviewing unusual cars; those with ‘quirks and features’.

The position of those dampers is quite unusual, to me. I have a leaf sprung Hiace and the similar dampers are bolted to a flanged portion of one of the leaves of the spring and are situated on the portion of the spring ahead of the axle. Take a look at PNC#48370 here (my van):
https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/lh119v/114894/chassis/4804/

It makes a bit more sense to me to have the damper on the spring itself rather than the shackle (which might also impact on clearance) but I think that’s what they are. They seem to be the same family of parts, but I’ve not seen the type you have on the EPC.

The damper itself is actually quite heavy. Adding a bit of mass is a common way to damp vibration (like sound deadening a panel). Years ago there was a fad to glue a small weight to the tip of skis to stop them wobbling. Somewhat counter-intuitive but there you go.

By the way I’m impressed how clean and tidy the underneath of your van is!

HTH
Back to top Go down
Dogs

Number of posts : 6
Home City : Eden NSW AUSTRALIA
Registration date : 2023-07-03

PostSubject: Re: What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles   What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Icon_minitimeMon Jul 24, 2023 1:00 am

Thanks for the reply
I thought initially they may be to tie down the vehicle for security reasons when parked in Japan as they are mainly parked in car parks or to secure the van when transporting. Everyone I asked didn’t know
Back to top Go down
NickZ
Been here a while
Been here a while
NickZ

Number of posts : 155
Home City : UK
Model and year : 1993 Cruising Cabin, 4wd 3L engine.
Registration date : 2023-01-13

PostSubject: Re: What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles   What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Icon_minitimeTue Jul 25, 2023 3:25 pm

They probably are for something like vibrations but that's a bit boring... Much better if they're wheelie bars for when it used to be a drag racer.

What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Blogger-image--1933739599

blgravely and Dogs like this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles   What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What is this rubber hanger of my rear shackles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General :: General chat-
Jump to: