Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
batchku

Number of posts : 8
Home City : GUALALA
Registration date : 2022-07-10

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Empty
PostSubject: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2023 10:39 pm

Hello!

I am having no luck finding the right harness adaptor for my stereo in the 1995 Hiace.

It is a 14-pin connector with 8 pins in the bottom row and two sets of 3 with a gap in between in the top row.  

My previous attempts led me to a harness that doesn’t fit.

I also need the coloring guide/diagram that tells me what wire is what in that connector…

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2023 1:14 am

Hi Batchku

I couldn’t find anything to help so I spent some time in her van figuring things out. The stereo in my wife’s Hiace had a 14 pin connector with non standard wiring colors like yours, and a weird common ground for the speakers. I had to cut the end off and put a 15 pin connector on it so I could put a U.S. Toyota radio on it. Stock It has 2 amps and 10 total speakers.

The wiring for hers is as follows
Pin 1  Amp/Remote Turn-On (W)
Pin 2  ILL+ (G)
Pin 3  +B/Constant Power/Battery (R)
Pin 4  MUTE (G)
Pin 5  FL+ (W)
Pin 6  FR+ (GwB)
Pin 7  Power Antenna (B)
Pin 8  Dimmer (Br w W)
Pin 9  ACC/Switched Power (G)
Pin 10 Ground (W)
Pin 11 Ground speakers (Br)
Pin 12 BEEP (R)
Pin 13 RL+ (Bl)
Pin 14 RR+ (Y)

What was in the van:
Front speakers.  4” (10cm) 4ohm, 86db, metric bolt pattern. 2.5 cm separate tweeters in doors
Roof speakers. 4” (10cm), 2.5cm separate tweeters with standard bolt pattern in pods
Rear speakers  4.7” (12cm), 4ohm 88db. Standard bolt pattern. 5 1/4 fit if you trim the ported plastic pod they’re in
Front amp 33wx4 behind glovebox
Rear amp 33wx2. r/h van wall below speaker pod.

Hope this is able to help.

Good Luck and God Bless
Back to top Go down
batchku

Number of posts : 8
Home City : GUALALA
Registration date : 2022-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 6:12 am

Thank you for your response; much appreciated.

The wiring schematic you provided make sense and is VERY helpful.

My new stereo requires that + and - connections for all speakers are distinct; the - can not be shared; it says so in the manual specifically. The wire schematic only has + for the speakers which makes me assume the - should be shared.

Did you face this issue? What could be a solution? should I draw a new wire from the amps to have the + and - be separate for all speakers?

Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 278
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 1:56 pm

Hi,

Just a thought - did the old 14 pin harness terminate with two plugs that connected behind the dash? If so, that's a period pair of Toyota radio connector plug/sockets. Hopefully, they're still in there and the  - either connected to the 14-pin harness - or with that radio harness wires being crimped 'behind' those sockets.

If they are there, then you can get third-party harnesses that connect those to different systems. If you're connecting a new recent head-unit, then it may well have an ISO connector option (ISO plugs on end of a small harness that connects into the back of the head unit).

If that's the case, then you can get an ISO to Toyota connector kit that should take care of everything.

The Toyota sockets look like this:

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace 7ba48f3c-61a1-4a67-8250-07226e505a3b_1.63f572b08d5c2e5bfbdb4e552f75ea41

A head-unit to ISO harness will look something like this (hopefully came with the unit):

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace 61gu1wtYiJL._AC_SY450_

And the Toyota-specific ISO adaptor is like this (in the UK): https://www.halfords.com/technology/car-audio/stereo-fittings/toyota%2Flexus%2Fdaihatsu-iso-harness-adaptor---ct20ty01-581881.html

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace 581881?w=740&h=555&qlt=default&fmt=auto&v=1

blgravely likes this post

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitimeSat Apr 15, 2023 7:19 pm

Hey bachku,

My wife’s radio came with a single 14 pin connector which was used for the premium sound. It was proprietary to the Hiace and a few 1991 Toyota MR2s for some reason. It’s strangely wired and I couldn’t find anyone who made an adaptor so I spliced one myself.

I wired another Toyota radio into it so the common ground isn’t an issue. I just made it work with the adaptors goose showed above. The female end was important to me. We just wanted American radio frequencies and to keep the factory look.

If you wire an aftermarket radio on top of the existing setup when you have the two amps, you already have the female adaptor that came with the radio. The wiring is weird, but you can still wire it with the common ground. Pin 10 is a shield ground and 11 is the speaker ground. The adapter isn’t important because you are cutting it off.

5 (W) FL+White Front RCA Connector Tip
6 (R) - FR+Red Front RCA Connector Tip
11 (G) - All RCA Negative
13 (BR) - RL+White Rear RCA Connector Tip
14 (L) - RR+Red Rear RCA Connector Tip

Should work fine and what not.

Good,luck
-Bryan
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace   Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Replacing the stereo in my 1995 Hiace
Page 1 of 1