Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Windscreen trim removal

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AinWarhol
Not so new now
Not so new now
AinWarhol

Number of posts : 25
Home City : Austin, TX, USA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited
KZH100
Registration date : 2018-12-06

windscreen - Windscreen trim removal Empty
PostSubject: Windscreen trim removal   windscreen - Windscreen trim removal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2023 1:08 am

So I’m stripping my 93 SCL (KZH100G) down to prep for a proper paint job.

I was able to successfully remove the lower windscreen trim piece without breaking any of the clips, but I’m wondering if it’s possible to remove the rubber trim surrounding the glass on the sides and top without removing the windshield? Mine is pretty beat up and starting to crack so I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before it starts letting water in underneath.

Keep in mind that my windscreen does not leak and is not cracked or chipped, so I’d really like to leave it bonded in place if at all possible. I already have a replacement trim piece and it looks like it could potentially be popped out without removing the glass unless the urethane bonding is also on it, in which case I’m sure I’ll be SOL.

I’d really like to check under this trim for potential rust and just get a better paint result as well. Hoping someone here has done this before and might be able to shed some light. Thanks in advance!

image host image host

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 516
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

windscreen - Windscreen trim removal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Windscreen trim removal   windscreen - Windscreen trim removal Icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2023 9:42 pm

Hello.

I’m also in a bit of a conundrum on this. I’d like to replace the windscreen seal as mine is not great and I have some rust that would be better treated by removing the screen, but neither are critical jobs though they won’t fix themselves.

Back in the summer I called three local windscreen replacement companies for quotes and was surprised how helpful two of them were. A big, national one was not any use but the two regional / local ones offered to come to the van and remove the screen then refit the same thing back a few months later.

The charge would be ~£150 payable when the screen went back in. Both did caution that they could not guarantee the original screen would come out clean and it was 50:50 likely to have to be replaced. They both said they’d draw a replacement screen from stock, which they’d hold locally and charge me for if the old one broke (another ~£150), though their fitters get a hefty bonus if they get the old screen out and put back so they are not incentivised to replace it.

The original screens apparently had a colour tint that matches the broad colour-scheme of the van. I think there’s a blue and a brown, but none of these screen are available anymore (here) and the aftermarket ones the companies could get were all clear. It might be possible to get the original colour-tint screens from Japan. They are listed on the EPC and Amayama but I wouldn’t be going down this route / price. If you need more on the EPC and Amayama (etc), look here:
https://hiace-super-custom.forumotion.com/t4468-part-numbers

Neither company had access to the OEM screen seal and I don’t know whether local Toyota dealerships still carry this. One company thought the windscreen was bonded but the manual shows it being put in with the ‘string’ technique so I think it’s very old school. The EPC lists a ‘weathershield’ for ~£100 (I think the rubber seal that goes all the way round) and a ‘dam kit’ for ~£25. I think this is the cushioning part that sits between the glass and the frame and is probably just a foam with adhesive to hold everything in place, but it might also position the screen for fit.

If I do end up taking the screen out I’d definitely put a new weatherstrip and dam kit in. A heatgun might help to unstick everything (or crack it) and it might be wise to replace the windscreen wider spindles at the same time.

I think some vans have a windscreen drain system. Mine does not, but I don’t think it was fitted to my model year. It’s on the EPC though.

As I also have the dash and inner A-pillar trims out of my van I can get you some inside pictures if you wish?

Keen to know how you progress and good luck!!

AinWarhol and Jemmus like this post

Back to top Go down

Windscreen trim removal
Page 1 of 1