Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

!! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CherrySloth
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 21
Home City : New Zealand
Model and year : 1994 3LTD 1KZ Super Custom Limited.
Registration date : 2021-03-04

!! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Empty
PostSubject: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2022 12:51 am

Hello, So I have driven my 1994 Hiace SuperCustom into a wet ditch. It has been recovered and exterior is without bad damage. These things are hearty. It is drivable so I hesitantly drove it home. I removed the battery when it was in water and removed the air filter before driving.
I am in the process of cleaning the interior. THE MAIN ISSUE. My digital dash has gotten water inside of it. and when driving it did not turn on except the dash lights. WHAT DO I DO?!?!?
The water did not come all the way in but it was on its side and the dash got wet. fuses and most electricals where lucky enough to not get touched. How can I fix the dash/ Is it even fixable?!@?!

Thanks for any help! I'm desperate.
-Z
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitimeWed Nov 02, 2022 10:21 pm

Hello, and sorry to hear of your woes.

I don’t know about your instruments but I’d treat them and any related wiring as any electronic part that got wet.

There are loads of YT vids on this and basically I’d try to act fast and probably would not have wanted to run the instruments if possible.

I’d suggest you need to remove any contaminants (salts) and moisture / water, ideally using di-ionised water or water distilled from a tumble drier, or 100% ethanol or isopropanol alcohol.

Any moisture is very likely to cause a short or a wiring failure over time. Hopefully a fuse has blown to protect the wiring but unless you act quickly the whole lot might be a rusted mess. Once decontaminated you need to dry or desiccate the wiring, connectors and circuity. There are loads of high-tech or simple ways to do this but drying alone is not likely to prevent subsequent failure if contaminated with ditch water.

My 2p!

HTH!
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 7:09 am

Water itself doesn’t short out 12v DC electrical wiring. Drive an older car that doesn’t rely on can-bus into a river and the lights and windows will still operate. Water does, however, fry electronics and circuits. If there was even a little moisture in the dash circuit-boards, turning on the ignition and thus connecting power to the dash would indeed likely have fried it.

You can generally even wash electronics with a hose and so long as they’re dried immediately and fully BEFORE they get power, they’ll be fine. That “before” is key.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitimeSun Nov 13, 2022 7:23 am

LH119V wrote:
… water distilled from a tumble drier…

HTH!

Water from a condensor or heat pump dryer is not really distilled in the proper sense nor is it clean. The condensor itself can habour nasty stuff (like any a/c unit) and the water vapour it collects has mostly not reached temperature anywhere close to boiling so still contains impurities. It will also generally have lint and dust mixing into the collector where mould also grows. Nasty stuff overall.
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitimeSat Nov 19, 2022 2:21 pm

Deionised water can be bought in most supermarkets etc - you can use that as a solvent.
Many digital items can be carefully disassembled, rinsed and dried thoroughly - and will work again.

So I'd try that first. Your main challenge will be to DRY all the little connections to relays etc, so I'd advise running a cold fan and a dehumidifier in it for a week or two, just to help it dry.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!   !! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

!! I MESSED UP, WET DASH!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Electrical :: Sparky Lives Ere-
Jump to: