Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

Number of posts : 277
Home City : UK
Model and year : Hiace Super Custom 2WD 2.4L Petrol 2001
RZH101G
Registration date : 2022-08-03

About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Empty
PostSubject: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2022 4:09 pm

Hi,

We've been looking at a possible camper or larger towing vehicle and we've fallen in love with the Super Customs - probably a non-camper converted and just use an everyday day van.

So far, we've been scouring ebay, gumtree, autotrader and facebook marketplace but anything in the sort of condition and price we're looking for is usually the other side of the country - and I'm reluctant to have the pressure of a ten hour round trip to decide that one is not the one. So hopefully something in good condition pops up in Norfolk UK soon, even if it's just the matter of seeing one in the flesh.

Also been considering importing from Japan over this winter - as the shipping time seems to be over three months at the moment - though that does rely on finding a good broker we can trust - but I think I may have a lead on that from my brother.

in the meantime, I've been reading up on options (diesel/petrol 4WD/2WD) and what to look out for - and what to avoid.

So just saying high and also looking for a steer if anyone knows an importer that may have a few over here for sale already? Most seem to concentrate on Elgrands and Alphards at the moment.

Cheers,
S
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 8:53 am

Given the choice these days, having owned &/or driven them all I’d recommend the Alphard over the SuperCustom. Sacrilege to be saying that here but it’s reality now the SC is getting so old.
However the proviso with that is I’d narrow the recommendation to the Vellfire with the Quad-cam 3.5L V6 4WD. Far superior tow wagon than the Super Custom but is lacking half a meter in length in the back.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 9:01 am

Not sure what years of imports you’re seeing in the UK but a great van is the Delica D5 from 2007 onwards. Not the earlier Delicas, the Supercustom is better than them, but the D5 is leaps ahead in engine, driveability, features, comfort - pretty much everything except rock & mud crawling (although the D5 is superior in sand). D5 tows well too despite the knee-jerk fears many have of the CVT.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 10:24 am

Pete_nz wrote:
. Far superior tow wagon than the Super Custom but is lacking half a meter in length in the back.

Went to see a SC this weekend but too much rust and lack of care. I'm thinking it's going to be difficult to find one in decent condition other than a special find fresh import.

The thing with the Alphards and the Elgrands is the 'look' doesn't appeal to me as much - though the specs look great. But mainly, the shorter internal space as they're not cab-over. We would want to replace the back row seats with a bench bed or similar - which would work with the SC.

Also been looking at the more recent Hiaces again (mk5, post 2004). But they do lack the internal specs (sunroofs, curtains, spinny chairs etc). The Regius Ace Super GLs look the best bet, as at least they can have a 'proper' second row of seats rather than the basic bench or bus seats in the DXs and Hiaces of that era.

Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 12:29 pm

Oh yes the later Hiaces are great. I didn’t realise they qualified for import into UK. The Super GL is indeed the best of them. Even if only for the fact the front passenger seat is adjustable. All the pre-2010 non-Super GLs have terrible front seat comfort and space.
Even more length in rear of the post-2004 Hiaces but at the expense of the front.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 12:36 pm

Worth a look if you’re importing from Japan is the wider body 10 seater versions. They have electronic stability control which is an imperative for import into my country and the are usefully larger inside than the standard Hiace but not overly large by Ford Transit/Fiat Ducato/Sprinter/VW standards.
AWD commonly available on them too.
Back to top Go down
g00se
Been here a while
Been here a while
g00se

RZH101G

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2022 12:47 pm

Pete_nz wrote:
Oh yes the later Hiaces are great. I didn’t realise they qualified for import into UK. 

Yes, you can import any age into the UK. If it's under ten years old, you need specific inspection certification, which can be an added cost. But anything over ten years just needs registering and an MOT test (as all non-new cars here do).
Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2022 11:13 am

g00se wrote:
The thing with the Alphards and the Elgrands is the 'look' doesn't appeal to me as much

Agreed, the cute scooby-doo look of the supercustom is why I bought it. Else a modern Renault Trafic with the twin turbo 1.6Dci would IMO be easier and look cool.

Beware in the UK that the govern-ment adds duty also to the shipping costs. It's not correct IMO, but they constantly break legislation (UK legislation says we shouldn't pay council tax - Local Government act 1888 sction 79 (2)) so little you can do, except fight it after.

I think I used 'Car From Japan' for mine, very good.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom   About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

About to pull the trigger on a Super Custom
Page 1 of 1