Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
PonziPlays

Number of posts : 4
Home City : Tampa, FL
Registration date : 2022-07-26

Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Empty
PostSubject: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:21 am

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I have been heavily considering importing a 4th gen Hiace into the USA.

One of the things that I was curious about was the different trim/models of the Hiace and what their differences were(Living Saloon EX, Super Custom Limited, etc).

As well, I know many people prefer the 1KZ Diesel in these, any thing to note on the different engines and if either is better?

Thanks for any and all help! Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 196
Home City : Bonney Lake, WA
Model and year : 1993 Super Custom Limited 4WD
1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E
Registration date : 2021-05-20

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:26 am

I can answer what you need tomorrow after my solo flight evaluation. They’re fun vans, good luck,

-Bryan

PonziPlays likes this post

Back to top Go down
PonziPlays

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:35 am

Thanks Bryan! I appreciate any help, there is a lot to digest with these vans and the forum is helpful I still am struggling to find the right info (maybe I need to learn how to use search better lol! )
Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:59 am

I had a break in studying so here goes:

So weirdly they are all super customs. For the purposes of making it easier to discuss the 2 trims, they are living saloon EX and Limited. Living saloon EX came with a variety of gas and Diesel engines but the limited all seem to come with the 3.0TD

4 speed automatics are standard
Optional 4 wheel drive on both (full-Time)
LSD rear end optional on both

They have 1 ton axles and share suspension more in line with a 4 runner with rear coil springs than leaf springs like in a pickup.

The 3L is a 2.8 non turbo diesel
The 1KZ-TE is a non-intercooled turbo diesel making 130hp.

My wife has the turbo and it will do a true 100 on the highway and pull hills fine. The 3L will be much more pokey. These things weigh more than 4500 pounds so mpg is 18 or so.

The real difference in the 2 trims is interior amenities.  On the limited you can get:
Drivers airbag
Electronically controlled suspension like a Supra turbo.
Digital holographic gauges like Knight Rider
Keyless entry
Combination Fridge/Sandwich heater in center console
Ice maker
Coffee pot
2 zone Automatic Climate control air conditioning front and back.
Upgraded stereo with 2 amps
3 moonroofs front to back
Better seat cloth
Second row bucket seats that lock in any direction
Power folding mirrors
Joyful Talk intercom system.

If you are shopping i recommend deciding 2WD/4WD first. The price difference is significant. The 4WD ones with all terrain tires are very sure footed. Then see what your budget allows and what not. My wife’s Hiace starts conversations wherever she goes. She loves it. After I freshened up the mechanicals it has been absolutely trouble free for quite a while now. She has a loaded limited, and all the cool 90’s gadgets like power curtains that shoot open and closed are lots of fun.

Any specific questions you have please reach out. Hope I didn’t make any mistakes typing the above. If you need something, I’ll reply as soon as I can or refer you to someone who isn’t an idiot like me.

Good luck. I’m from ST Pete/Tampa BTW. Small World. Army pulled me up to Seattle/Tacoma where I will retire soon. Have an awesome weekend ahead!

-Bryan

Back to top Go down
PonziPlays

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 4:47 am

Hello fellow Florida Native Razz . Thanks for all the info! I probably won't shy away from 2WD as I don't really need the 4WD in Florida. As for gas engines vs diesel, any opinions on that in terms of reliability?

I know the gas engines typically are a bit more peppy.

Back to top Go down
blgravely
Been here a while
Been here a while

1KZ-TE/A340F/G295
TWINK-E

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 1:46 pm

Ok so I’ve seen gas engines in the 2WD Hiace’s but only the base trim. They are in the RZ family from back in the day.

1RZ
2RZ
3RZ

The 3RZ is the base 4Cyl from the first generation Tacoma and is a good engine. Makes about 150hp. Less torque than the bigger 3.0TD. I don’t think I’ve heard of any systemic issues with that engine. Uses a timing chain instead of a belt too which is awesome.

The other two are smaller and significantly less powerful. The cool thing is I have seen with these vans, is that the gas motors can come with manual transmissions which will make you the only one on the road with a RHD stick shift van in Florida.

Back to top Go down
PonziPlays

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2022 3:14 pm

Good to know, thanks again!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines   Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Different 4th Gen Hiace trim levels/engines
Page 1 of 1