Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Aces_high
Aces_high

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Tonbridge
Model and year : LH119V-RRPES selectable 4x4, 1992
Registration date : 2021-08-26

Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Empty
PostSubject: Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?   Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 5:21 pm

Hi all. Possibly a long shot ...

Anyone know how I might be able to trace a van's history back in Japan?

I'm trying to piece together the backstory for a 1992 4x4 Hiace campervan (LH119) before it was imported to the UK in 2013.

It was converted by Yokohama Motor Sales, who - as far as I can tell - were official converters like Noppo and Vantech.

What I'd really like to know is how the vehicle was classified when it was first registered. I'm assuming 'campervan' but as I don't have any original paperwork, it's hard to tell.

Anyone had any experience of this sort of detective work? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?   Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 7:12 pm

Hi there.

No, but I've a '93 LH119V and while I have some paperwork in Japanese I don't have anything like the full history while in Japan, so I'm interested too.

I do have an original folder that has some certificates and various handwritten and printed slips, forms and documents, but no idea what it all means, plus a spare speedo back in km/h. I should probably find someone who can read and speak Japanese to translate the documents or download a translator app. There might be something useful there?

I've also got a few booklets for the camper such as:
Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? 1710
Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? 1810
Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? 1910

But this is a manual. The others are ??

Another is a manual for the 'HIACE van & commuter" base vehicle (see above) but again this is not the history. This document has some perforated elements but again, what?

My van was first registered in the UK in 2005 but I also have pictures of the previous UK V5C that shows the 'body type' or classification, plus I got some more details from the DVLA. As far as I know the term 'campervan' has no official meaning in the UK nor in Japan. The DVLA term is "Motor Caravan" and on Youtube videos have heard these referred to as 'camping cars' but don't know if this is official.

Finally, the previous owner of mine managed to get a faxed copy from Japan of the domestic wiring, which I've posted previously but cannot find the doc just now (picture above). Somewhere in Japan there must be a filing cabinet full of paperwork. Be great if you can dig anything up. I wonder if Toyota UK can assist, but it's all a long time ago? Maybe Toyota Japan has an archive? There must also be a Japanese DVLA but no idea of anything further.

What's the issue you are tryiing to resolve with your query?

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Aces_high
Aces_high

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Tonbridge
Model and year : LH119V-RRPES selectable 4x4, 1992
Registration date : 2021-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?   Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 7:57 pm

Hi @LH119V

Thanks for your reply. Those cartoons are priceless! And it's great you've got those brochures.

I don't really have a specific query, other than trying to establish that the van started life as a motor caravan (or whatever the official term is in Japan).

I'm fairly certain it has a 'factory' conversion. There's 2 months between the manufacture date of September 1992, and the first registered date of November 1992. My guess is that's when the base van was being kitted out. But what do I know?!

I tried Toyota UK. They apparently have no history of vehicles outside of the UK. Next stop, I suppose, is Toyota Japan.

If I get anywhere, I'll let you know.

LH119V likes this post

Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?   Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 21, 2022 8:57 pm

Thanks.

As far as I know the LH119 cruising cabins (CCs), for example like here:

started life as Toyota Hiaces on their production line and were outfitted by "Toyota Technocraft Co., Ltd." see: https://www.toyota-cd.co.jp/english/aboutus/history/. On that site there is a picture of a TOYOTA HIMEDIC and there's a YT walk-through (possibly also JDM, I can't remember) but the vehicle shares the same DNA as the CCs. Other Frame numbers in addition to the 119 that were also CCs, include the LH113 and there are sites that list the lot, plus you can explore here: https://toyota.epc-data.com/regius_ace/ , etc. Over the years I've found some interesting articles; perhaps we need an archive here?

When I say 'outfitted' I imagine the vans were finished to a particular point with a bespoke options arrangement according to the LH113, 119 etc specification on the Toyota production line then transferred in batches to Toyota Technocraft who then installed the domestic wiring, cabinets, blinds, bespoke seats etc based on a joint arrangement. I think the joint arrangement would cover things like the seat fabrics to ensure the van and the camper had the same parts, but the rear seats and curtains etc were probably made by TT. I think the'd be sold in Toyota dealerships, but don't really know. I see the CCs as sort of Toyota's equivalent to VW's California rather than a VW Reimo or 'aftermarket conversion', if you see what I mean?

Finally, I think my van has a "Toyota Technocraft" sticker on the painted metal at the front part of the step behind the sliding door (behind all the trim), plus one near the VIN plate or door. Will take a look. It's definitely like the one in the Otto-Ex vid, just in the middle (hopefully) of a 30y refresh and still in increasingly many peices, though these are getting fettled.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?   Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can anyone help trace the origins of a 1992 LH119 campervan?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: