Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan

Go down 
+5
JT69
GPW
AgathaAlice
MalL
east01@gmail.com
9 posters
AuthorMessage
east01@gmail.com

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Bournemouth
Registration date : 2021-11-29

Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Empty
PostSubject: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 12:45 pm

Hello,
My friend has recently bought a 2002 Hiace campervan. It's a Japanese import. It has a basic owner manual (in Japanese) which I have been through every page looking at the diagrams.
The issue is we are trying to find the radiator reservoir filler bottle. Searches on the internet seem to show that it is under the front bonnet. But as none of the models look exactly like our model or show how to access this compartment we are a bit stuffed. Maybe with this model you access it another way (through the cab)?
Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Inkedf11

Any help would be greatly appreciated

IANPELLING likes this post

Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2021 11:13 pm

Access is from under the front passenger seat. You may have to raise the edge of the carpet to see the catches. Fold the seat backs forward then raise the base. There should be a strap on the pillar behind the door to hook onto the raised seat to hold it up.
Back to top Go down
east01@gmail.com

Number of posts : 3
Home City : Bournemouth
Registration date : 2021-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeTue Nov 30, 2021 11:18 pm

Yes we have got to the engine already, but there is no radiator reservoir bottle there. On other models it is accessed from the outside and us situated under the windscreen wipers. Some models have a bonnet that reveals the bottle. But on ours the metal bonnet covering is fixed and can not open. Unless the bottle is accessed by removing the radiator grille. But can not find any screws to release this. If anyone has the same model, any help would be appreciated
Thank you
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2021 12:31 am

Sorry, I have no idea then. It might help if you can post the model number, or at least the engine type.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2021 2:32 am

Follow the direction the hose is going?

Moorad23 likes this post

Back to top Go down
GPW
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
GPW

Number of posts : 1527
Home City : Cambridge, UK
Model and year : Model: KD-KZH100G-MRPGT
Year: 1996
Colour: 4K1
Trim: FN42

Registration date : 2016-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2021 9:54 am

Hi!

Great looking van!
Please get the sills, bottom of tailgate and sliding door sprayed inside with anti-rust as they are not normally rust proofed for the UK market. It will be cheaper and easier to do it now, than wait for the salt to eat it...

The LHS seat tips up to reveal the engine....
The RHS seat comes out and there is a bolted panel that exposed some other bits, but the expansion bottle is unlikely to live there: it should be reasonable accessible..

Take a photo of the engine bay so we can see!
What engine is it?

Also a pic of the inside would be nice for everyone to see!

Crispy likes this post

Back to top Go down
JT69
Hiace Master
Hiace Master
JT69

Number of posts : 417
Home City : Holmfirth Huddersfield Yorks
Model and year : 1996 3ltr turbo LWB super custom sat nav cruise fitted
Now running on veg oil
Registration date : 2016-12-05

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2021 3:03 pm

The coolant reservoir is to the left of the radiator lift up the passenger seat and look to the side of the rad should normally be about 1/3rd full with red coolant.
Back to top Go down
milkman
Been here a while
Been here a while
milkman

Number of posts : 129
Home City : london
Model and year : LH113V 1992 Composer
Registration date : 2010-06-15

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeWed Dec 08, 2021 5:47 pm

Another possible place: same MO lift up LH Seat engine access. If looking at engine opening from the passenger door the resevoir is to the right under the seat.
Also in front of you roughly speaking is the fuel filter.

Its also the main access for checking belts, oil levels, transmission fluid levels oil and rad fluid top up.

You will also see a plate with the chassis/engine type stampoed on, paint refernce and some other stuff.
definitely post this if you have any followups

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 6:02 am

NONE (that’s zero) of the Japanese Hiaces of this shape from 1989-2004 have a front bonnet or any accessible parts & maintenance access under the wipers.
The radiator fill cap and overflow bottle are ALWAYS under the front passenger seat, immediately to the left side of the opening you see once you lift the seat, closest edge to you standing at the passenger door. No exceptions.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2021 6:02 am

NONE (that’s zero) of the Japanese Hiaces of this shape from 1989-2004 have a front bonnet or any accessible parts & maintenance access under the wipers.
The radiator fill cap and overflow bottle are ALWAYS under the front passenger seat, immediately to the left side of the opening you see once you lift the seat, closest edge to you standing at the passenger door. No exceptions.
Back to top Go down
hose LH178 5L
hose LH178 5L

Number of posts : 14
Home City : Victoria, BC, Canada
Model and year : 1999
Regius Ace
Super GL
Hitop camper
LH178V
5L eng
4x4 diesel
Registration date : 2021-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Hi I have the same camper here in British Columbia Canada. Mine is LH178 with the 5L eng 1999, the camper mods were done by VANTEC in Japan. My Rad Reservoir is in the passangers pillar (just aft of the passanger door, eye level when standing) look where the shoulder seat belt goes thru. Strange palce but thats where it is
Back to top Go down
LH119V
Hiace Master
Hiace Master

Number of posts : 510
Home City : p
Registration date : 2021-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2022 8:07 pm

Nice van and welcome to the forum!

Also be good to see some interior shots when convenient.

Agree with the other posts on rust-proofing.

Anyway, the expansion bottle on my van (with 3L engine) is shown in the picture here (follow the red arrow).
Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Pictur11

There’s a pipe that joins the expansion bottle to the thermostat housing, well on mine anyway. Also on mine this tank is not pressurised; it just takes excess coolant out of the system and feeds it back via a siphon when the system cools.

My tank is currently sitting on a shelf in another room, but from memory there are low and high levels on the tank, or possibly hot and cold. If like mine then this tank does not hold much at all when cold.

Interesting to learn that on some vans this is in the B pillar, I presume LHS? I have some electronic boxes in this void but see how this could be done.

Yours is a newer model than mine so it could be different but the advice above to follow the hose is ideal.

HTH
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan   Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Toyota Hiace 2002 campervan
Page 1 of 1