Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

Number of posts : 68
Home City : portland
Registration date : 2018-08-28

Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Empty
PostSubject: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeSun Nov 14, 2021 3:37 pm

Ive gone through the 9 pages of the sparky section of the forum before asking - anyone know where the fuse is in the 1995 hiace SC for the REAR cigarette lighter? Its not one of the fuses in the panel in the drivers footwell. Mine died a week ago and its what ive used for 3yrs to plug in my thermo electric cooler for camping and grocery runs (i live in the sticks).

Off to do a 7hr road trip in 48hr and i need to figure out how to get it working again.

I use the front cigarette lighter for my sat nav / gps so i cant plug it in there.

If anyone knows where the fuse is for the rear lighter, or how i get the panel off to check the wiring please let me know.

ps - the frige hasnt died. its def the lighter socket as checked other things and nothing will power there either

THNKYOU
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 12:08 am

just to throw some mystery in the works:

it cant be a fuse because i tested the socket itself and it gets the same power as the front socket - both just under 12v then 13.44v once the engine started.

Both my 12v fridge and anything else will power up at the front socket, nothing at all wil power up now from the rear sockey, even though the socket is getting power. I cleaned anything on it with fine wire wool just incase (even though the front one is grotty and works fine).

So im absolutley stumped.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 4:07 am

How are you measuring that? A poor (high resistance) connection will still allow the minute current a meter needs while dropping away completely under an actual load. Have you checked the back of the socket to confirm connections there are all good? Is the earth connection good? Otherwise it's likely that something in the wiring has corroded especially if it passes through some connectors in the path from the fusebox to the socket, that could take some finding since it could be behind panels somewhere.
It could still be worth checking the fuse itself, they can develop poor contact in themselves or in the fusebox.
Do you know anyone with a cable tracer that could help find where the wiring runs?

We really do need someone to invent that 'beam me up Scotty' transporter then we could just pop over and help each other when someone needs assistance! I'd bring my tracer over.

kelt2 likes this post

Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 4:35 am

i just typed a huge reply and then accidently closed the window instaed of pressing send.... but the jist was that i think its getting voltage but not amperage
Back to top Go down
MalL
Been here a while
Been here a while

Number of posts : 155
Home City : Brisbane
Model and year : LH119 1991
Registration date : 2010-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeMon Nov 15, 2021 10:49 pm

I have found some plugs work and some don't, the issue being the diameter at the end; the red section in this example. The plug feels as if it is connecting properly but the tip doesn't make contact.
Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Plug10

One plug I had was fitted with an optional tip giving me the impression that it is a deliberate feature, perhaps to do with the amperage of the appliance. Rather like different diameter nozzles in fuel tanks.
Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2021 3:17 am

@kelt2 that's exactly what I was getting at: there's a bad connection somewhere. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to find that bad connection!
Back to top Go down
kelt2
Not so new now
Not so new now

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitimeTue Nov 16, 2021 3:22 am

it was a ground burnt out someplace. neither myself nor the mechanic (i was there having something else done) could figure out how to get the old socket out without taking off the entire rear wall panel in order to sort it. So installed a new socket and ran to a gap in the fuse box. Was more than i intended to spend today but at least i know how to do that myself in the future as they let me watch the procedure and explained each step.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(   Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rear cigarette lighter died in my kzh106 - need a fix :(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: Hiace Electrical :: Sparky Lives Ere-
Jump to: