Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Van Desmoking

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Number of posts : 44
Home City : Denver, USA
Model and year : 1994 Super Custom Limited
Registration date : 2020-10-09

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeSat Nov 06, 2021 2:49 pm

Some pictures of van interior disassembly and cleaning.
The Hiace I got was listed as lightly smoked in and having a slight smell. Clearly someone detailed it as Pacific Coast got it from auction from a Toyota dealer. It's not a bad smell at all, but the thing that has annoyed me since I got it was anytime you touched a soft surface in the van, your hands came away feeling dirty.
So here are some pics of van interior disassembly and cleaning.

The current plan is:
Take out all carpets and soft touch pieces, clean with oxy carpet cleaner.
Take out all plastics and scrub with dish soap.
Take out seats and wipe down and scrub with oxy cleaner.
Clean headliner in-place (I might be convincing myself to take this out too).
Take out dash (for other reasons too: radio, HVAC heat weirdness) and clean out fans, ducts, everything I can get out.

Front seat and carpets out
Van Desmoking Img_2010
I am amazed how easy Toyota made it to disassemble these vans. No modern car would have snap-in carpets.

Rear speaker grills clean(right) vs. dirty(left):
Van Desmoking Img_2011

Rear area stripped of carpets, seats, and curtains:
Van Desmoking 20211025
Van Desmoking 20211110

ruffnut and OKJDM like this post

Back to top Go down
AgathaAlice
Im not old...just experienced
Im not old...just experienced

Number of posts : 350
Home City : Hamilton New Zealand
Model and year : As of August 1st 2022 we no longer have a Toyota.
Registration date : 2018-08-31

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 5:51 am

Good work.
The smell of smoke is very hard to get rid of and I've never been able to understand why anyone would knowingly fill themselves with it.
I hope you have a supportive partner who is contributing some of the effort involved.
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:32 am

Classic Japanese auction car. Generally, a smoker in Japan smokes like an absolute train, cigarettes are so cheap there. So many vehicles can (should!) be almost unsellable.
Back to top Go down
CustardCrazy
Not so new now
Not so new now
CustardCrazy

Number of posts : 84
Home City : Melbourne, Australia
Model and year : 1996 8 seater Super Custom 4WD KZH106
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:48 am

Great effort!  I waited 18 months to find a van that hadn't been smoked in (and bought it) but yours should be recoverable.  The industry does use ozone generators to take odours away (ozone is reactive and effectively gives an oxygen atom to the nastys changing their composition).  Looks like yours has something more like you'd find in a kitchen with insufficient fume extraction. Theres a good chance that cleaning it how you intend will fix it well enough.  If there's stil odour through the aircon ducting then maybe see if you can get an ozone generator onto that.  Lol looking through your photos I see a few items I have removed including that long trim piece (about 4m) from the right hand side.  Mine had to come out for me to find an extra amplifier behind it that I removed to fit a regular stereo system.
Good luck!

Edit: I must add that I can't find any good evidence as to the efficiacy of ozone generators for removing odours. A quick google shows that they might work on a whole lot of oxidisable compounds but there don't seem to be any scientific studies to show it's really effective. If you have a mate in the auto industry maybe ask them about that!
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 10:49 pm

AgathaAlice wrote:
Good work.
The smell of smoke is very hard to get rid of and I've never been able to understand why anyone would knowingly fill themselves with it.
I hope you have a supportive partner who is contributing some of the effort involved.

Agreed. I will never understand. And yes, she is very supportive of my questionable projects and hobbies. She doesn't even get (too) mad if I am using the shower or kitchen sink to clean parts.

Mine certainly was not that bad, I stayed away from anything that seemed heavily smoked in so I could live without doing this, but it's sort of fun to do the work anyways.

Did the main carpet today. It released a nice cigarette/coffee/soda soup into the wet vac when I was done.
Van Desmoking 20211112
Van Desmoking 20211111

Did a test side panel too to make sure the brush and oxyclean combo were not too strong and took off the "velvet". Just the right amount (dirty left, clean right).
Van Desmoking Side_p10

OKJDM likes this post

Back to top Go down
OKJDM
Not so new now
Not so new now
OKJDM

Number of posts : 41
Home City : Melbourne
Model and year : '97 SC 4x4 1KZ turbo - Project camper

(Also '92 JZX90 MKII & '03 JZX110 BLIT Wagon)
Registration date : 2021-10-02

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 11:11 am

Biig difference there...
Once all put back together will feel bigger.
Are ya gona touch the roof lining?
Good job..
Back to top Go down
shaggy0928
Not so new now
Not so new now
shaggy0928

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 3:42 pm

OKJDM wrote:
Biig difference there...
Once all put back together will feel bigger.
Are ya gona touch the roof lining?
Good job..

Definitely. I purchased a bulk pack of foaming carpet cleaner to us on the ceiling liner. I am not confident enough to take it out all the way. I have seen people doing it, but it's usually people replacing the interior and so I doubt they're too careful about not putting any marks on it or anything. My goal is to keep it basically stock.

So I think I'll hit the ceiling liner and sunroofs with the foaming cleaner, scrub with the same soft brush as I've been using on the velvety parts and then wipe it all down with a damp cloth. I know that won't be as thorough as a true cleaning, but I also would rather leave a little dirt than destroy the headliner.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Van Desmoking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Van Desmoking   Van Desmoking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Van Desmoking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: