Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum

Anything Toyota Hiace related

HomeHome  PortalPortal  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alternator problem

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
margrae
Not so new now
Not so new now
margrae

Number of posts : 29
Home City : Newcastleton, scottish Borders
Model and year : Super Custom Ltd, LWB 2001

Super Custom LWB 2001
Registration date : 2007-06-22

Alternator problem Empty
PostSubject: Alternator problem   Alternator problem Icon_minitimeMon May 31, 2021 3:58 pm

I have a 2001 3.0 TD and had the alternator replaced over a year ago, the van has been sat for over a year and since the alternator was replaced it has only done 90miles. My problem is the alternator doesn't appear to charge the battery, I have checked with a volt meter on the battery and there is no charge going to battery. The vehicle starts fine (has had a new battery) but the battery warning light/oil and coolant lights are on too. The belts appear to be turning on the alternator ok. I don't want to drive it any distance in case it just conks out. The fuses beside the battery I have changed the 7.5 amp one just in case but still no charging. Could it be one of the other 'fuses' that are there, one says 140 amp (main), the other 80 amp (glow).
Back to top Go down
Pete_nz
Been here a while
Been here a while
Pete_nz

Number of posts : 267
Home City : Wellington, New Zealand
Model and year : '95 4WD Auto 3.0TD TripleMoonRoof
Registration date : 2010-02-27

Alternator problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alternator problem   Alternator problem Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2021 11:57 pm

You need to test the alternator at it’s connections. The fact the oil and coolant lights are on too is too coincidental and that highly suggests it’s just a motor earth connection that’s come loose or corroded. Possibly at the alternator but I can’t remember where they earth.

If you’re unable to glean how to test the alternator in-situ from YT vids, I’d take it to an auto electrician.
Back to top Go down

Alternator problem
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Toyota Hiace Super Custom Owners Forum  :: General-
Jump to: